Buying a used turf seeder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimmyStew, Apr 9, 2008.

1. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I posted this in another forum a few days ago but didn't get much response, so I thought I'd try here.

If you had a choice between a used Classen TS-20 and a Bluebird S22 which would you choose and why?

The design of the Classen seems more intuative to good seed to soil contact, but maybe the folks at bluebird know something I don't. Both units are in good shape and are selling for about the same price.

My purpose for the unit is mainly for overseeding after landscape/hardscape installs but I'd like it to be a multipurpose unit for dethatching/power raking for those times when I need it (spring cleanups could use a power rake sometimes). Both mfg claim that can be easily converted for raking/de-thatching. Are those claims acurate is it just window-dressing?

2. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have the classen and have had great results. Yes you can use it as a dethatcher. Next time I will get a hydro driven unit. Some times the seeder will pull you around or slow down in softer material. With a hydro driven unit it will be more uniform of a seed drop. Can't comment on the bluebird...never used one.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've used my bluebird twice and gotten excellent results both times. Very even germination. Just be careful not to sit in one place with the hopper open or you'll get too much grass trying to grow in one spot. It seems like it wouldnt' always drop and cover the seed well, with the hopper on the rear, but the results were pretty impressive. Last fall I achieved very good coverage on a previously hard pan clay area that failed before when using just core aeration. I tilled, amended, and power seeded it. It actually looks better than the sodded Fescue area now. For thickening a decent lawn it's probably overkill and might tear up more stuff than its worth, but on bare areas where you simply have to get the seed down in the soil to prevent it washing off or drying up on the surface, I recommend it.