Buying A Used Walker Help!!!????

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Wright48, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Wright48

Wright48 LawnSite Member

I am goin to buy a used walker but i do now know what to look for problem wise or to find out if there is anything wrong with it? is 2000 hrs to much for an 01 or should i buy it for 1300?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Ask the seller if you can take it to a shop and have it checked out by someone that knows what to look for.

2000 hours is almost dead.....

3. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

what size/MODEL# walker are you buying? my 20mt has 700 hours on it in 2 years and runs great.

4. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I own 5 walkers from 250 - 2000 hrs. Three of my units are about 2000 and still have a lot of life. I have 20 hp mt machines. I will have to change the rings in one or two this year, but the tractor and deck are still good. You might want to check the oil gear axles. If there are little pins then there is trouble in there. Just a little general metal shavings are not a big deal. Hydros should be about same speed. 1300 is very cheap unless it is a piece of junk unless it is a 16 hp. That would be about right for one of those if still decent.

5. Wright48

Wright48 LawnSite Member

its a 2001 walker ghs 42 inch deck anybody own one becuase i am just trying to get an idea what the problems are ?

6. Wright48

Wright48 LawnSite Member

is 2000 hours too much tho ?

7. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

no, if it's been taken care of. can you take it to a walker dealer and have them look it over for you can have a better idea of what it's worth? and do you have a good walker dealer you can count on for future repairs. where i bought mine was a terrible dealer i switched to another dealer just 20 miles farther away and have much better service.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

What engine? If its a diesel then buy it now. Liquid cooled gas, same thing. an original 26EFI could have life if taken care of as a 20 may but I would be taking it to a shop like one of the 2 clowns said. Personally I would stay far far away from a 25, they were trash (IMO). Is the machine in good condition now. All fluids changed, no build up of dirt and grease all over it, generallly looking usesd but in a visual condition that looks OK. Check the frame at the welds and bolt joints. After bouncing down the road these can give way. Wear items are blower, gear axles, hydros (check oil and make sure it isn't black) gear box (dip stick) all the belts will add up to over a hundred bucks new. I just replaced a starter on my 2000 26EFI at 1656 hours. You also have to think about how hard you are gonna want to use the machine.
    Its history is the most important thing. If it was driven hard and and passed around like a 10 dollar stripper at a bachelor party then i would pass. A one owner solo operator on the other hand may have taken good care of it. That part is up to you. If it goes bad you can always re-power it or part it out and get some money back. Let us know what engine it has.
    Not a complete list but something to get you looking. Good Luck, if not then keep looking.

9. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello,
    WRIGHT48
    Suggestion would be to take machine to a VERY experienced shop for complete assesment .Walkers can be a major problem if not upgraded with factory fixes and have very regular servicing .

MOW ED,
    Before u can the ""25"" hp engine BEAWARE THE SHORT MOTOR IS THE SAME AS THE 26 27 28 . The 30 is a brother/ sister engine [mods to block]

The problems with the ealier units were
    cylinder head oil drain port was not changed when the engine increased in size from 20 to 25 hp .The oil drain port could not seal properly and caused many blown head gasket . ##This is now fixed .##

The other main issue for walker was the lack of inspection plates for the cylinder heads . There was no access to clean out cylinder head fins .:hammerhead::hammerhead:
    MANY ,MANY ENGINES OVERHEATED AS A RESULT -causing head gasket failure

BOTH MY MT WALKERS HAVE 3500 HRS +/-

TOMO:waving:

10. Wright48

Wright48 LawnSite Member

I think im going with a new mower instead i think im going to buy a wright sentar sport 48'' cut because of the size and agilitly of the machine any problems with them ????