Buying a used wb

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, May 14, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

WHat are the best models/brands to look for at used commercial stores or pawn shops when looking for a 30-46 inch walk behind? And how much should I expect to pay? And what is the largest wb which would fit through most any gate? I'm not sure what a small gate is, is it 30", more or less?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

36" is probably one of the smallest gates you will see. I have seen 32", but only on a couple of occasions. I think the main thing is to look at its appearance first. Then see how easy it starts up. Check the fluids. Then look it over for wear & cut quality.

In all reality, you may want to consider having a smaller mower - 36", and maybe a 48" or larger for the other properties. That way you don't have to use the small mower on everything limiting how much you can get done in a day.

3. green-pa

Well if 36 is about the smallest, would a 36 wb squeeze through? Do u have to angle it or? And taking a 36 commercial wb vs a 21 inch lowes top of the line $500 JD mower. Would the 36 inch roll a bit faster and still give a superior cut? What would u say the cut increase would be? 100% time savings or more, even with a good used one?

4. green-pa

Anyone have any suggestions on what brands/sizes to look for to go from 21" to 30" or larger wb? I've heard snapper and jd wb's are good but I know there are many more. What were some of the most popular 30-42 in wb's out there from say 2000-2005?

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

32" Toro with a Tbar. Swings a single blade and does a fine job of cutting. True width with cute down is 36" so gates are not a problem.

6. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 48 in. snapper. It's fine, but takes Forever!! to get parts for it. I waited 2 weeks for a saftey device. Just keep that in mind. Jd would be super fast and easy to get parts for, there are dealers everywhere. plus, if you don't like one, there's probably another one or more less than a half hour away.

7. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

Toro WB belt drive with T-bar. I just got one used, less than 50 hour on it, 2 years old, for $1550. The paint is not even warn off the underside, and it looks brand new. Great cut.

8. James grimes

James grimes LawnSite Member

toro WB for $1550. that is a good buy I just bought one for $3800