Buying a walk behind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jak2703, Aug 6, 2007.

1. jak2703

jak2703 LawnSite Member

A local dealer, who has been in business for 47 years, has a brand called Bob Cat. He, of course, seems to like them. I, being new, am not sure. He also has gravely, airens, dixon, toro, and stihl products. He services everything. I know from reading things here all of the time that most people have exmark and they all say service is the key. I was simply wondering if anyone has any opinions on "Bob Cat", and any other advice for buying one of these.

Also, would you do a fixed deck or float, and gear or hydro.

Thanks for everyones advice and opinion.

JAK2703

2. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

I have a 54" gear drive Bob-Cat WB. It has about 2000 hrs on it with little repair. It has a 17hp kaw engine that is bullet proof. The belt drive is easy to maintain and repair. I just recently replaced the tranny and drive pulleys / belts in less than 4 hrs then back to work. It's built like a tank. Joe

3. EMTDUCK1984

EMTDUCK1984 LawnSite Member

Bobcat Is A Very Descent Mower And If He Provides Service Then It Should Be A Good Deal For You

4. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I've never tried one out, but my local dealer sells them. They look like great machines and I would definitely buy one if I needed it. They are like tanks. Brant

5. herb900

herb900 LawnSite Member

I have a 52" Bunton WB which is almost same thing. It's a belt drive and was bought used. It's prettly well indestructable. Which means you have to be careful, because it's built better than many man made objects and if it gets away from you, it can do some serious damage to the house, fence, etc. I never tried a floating deck, but wish I had one. It's easy to scalp when you hit even a minor hole.

6. CHoniglandscapes

CHoniglandscapes LawnSite Member

Bob Cat makes a decent machine, Make sure you get one with a Kawasaki.. They used to be in my opinion better than they are now.. But nonetheless its a decent machine.