1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying a Walker Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TOP-NOTCHLAWNCARE, Mar 22, 2003.

from NJ

I am thinking about puchasing the Walker GHS Diesel with 48inch HD Deck for $10100 or with the 20 horse Kohler with 48inch HD Deck for $ 8100. If you have any experience with either or both of these machines please pass along your opinion to me. Is it worth $2000 more for the diesel engine? Do you know how it is on wet grass? Thank you.:blob2:
  2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

great prices!!!

one thing to consider when getting a Diesel Walker GHS is the added tail weight.

if you cut and bag hillsides, the tail wheel will tend to follow the slope.

you can remedy this with the optional tail wheel lock though.

the diesel will probably have a longer life span since it is liquid cooled, but it all boils down to maintenance of the machine.

in wet thicker grass the diesel has more torque to keep the machine from loading up.

and...........the diesel will retain a higher resale value!!

btw....i've been running Wlakers for many many years

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

All I run are diesel. I always tell people "once you go diesel, you'll never go back". They have more torque so they don't bog or rev like a gas motor. Aslo you can go a full 2 days of mowing on 1 tank, where as we would go through a tank and 1/2 with gas. Aslo as stated it will last much longer, and holds it's value more.

Take care of it, and change the oil religously and they last forever. I think I have over 3000 hours on mine. :cool: