Buying a Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajordan193, Mar 6, 2008.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

I need another mower this season to go along with my Scag Tiger Cub with the clam shell bagger. Seriously looking at picking up a walker within the next month. What is everyone paying for a 20 hp GHS 48 inch deck? How would this machine compare to my tiger cub?

Thanks

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

The tiger will have a faster ground speed and be able to finish a lawn well before the walker will. But walkers have a very good quality cut that you customers will be very happy with. If you are looking for speed, walker is not the way to go, but if quality is what you are looking for walker is a good choice.

3. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

they do not make the 20hp anymore. the replaced it with a 23hp. also if you buy a 26hp or larger you can have 7mph vs. 5mph. although you can put a speed up kit if you wanted. and if you get a larger motor you can get the new 52" bagging deck. and i believe after 2007 all the machines come with the bigger blower stock. if you didn't need to bag i would suggest the new super b with the 60" deck and 9mph. it was developed to be the same price as a midmount and have the same speed.

4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I sold my Scag Tiger Cub with a 48" velocity deck poor cut quality, and I am very glad I finally stopped listening to the "Walkers" are slow crap, The Scag mulch cut is nothing to be impressed with once you use a Walker, the 10-15mph cutting speeds of Midmounts, is a joke unless the ground is perfectly flat it's hard to keep those control levers mashed forward without the deck bouncing/scapling, regardless of the brand. All of my commercial & residentials turf health has greatly improved, no more thatch build up when mulching, or the green wet mulch clumps the mulch decks drop going over sidewalks, thicker & greener with a Walker cut. Midmounts still have their place, but I will disagree form experience that a Walker "slows" my business down. Their like Kirby Vaccuums

Ajordan123, get a Walker there worth the "high" price folks will tell you, got my 2007 MT20 42"GHS wide low profile tires, 9.5bushel hopper for 10,976 & change. MD diesel next year 42"GHS deck & 74SD deck.

5. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

that's partially true about the 20hp. They don't make in in the MT anymore but they use the 20hp in the MC unit. MT's have a choice of the 23hp, 25hpLC, 26hpEFI, and 31hpLC EFI (all depending on your dealer's distributor) The 25hpLC is not available from my dist. so I can't sell that one.

6. lawnrangeralaska

comfort seat. and power dump and low pro tires are a must! i love them all and if you get them from the factory it doesn't cost much more to upgrade.

7. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

Thanks for the replys, I'm not buying a walker based on speed, i love the way they stripe and how they maneuver compared to my heavy scag. I'm looking for a machine that not only cuts good but also bags easily since i bag all my properties.

8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Check into the Navigator by Exmark.

Running a big instant rebate and finaning now.

You can pick up a 27hp 48" for around 10.5k. About the same price as a 23hp Walker.

If you don't need all their fancy options and accessories, i would definetely check it out.

9. lawnrangeralaska

you just said you need a good cut and bags easily which would be the walker. and a walker with a 52" deck and 7mph is almost as fast as a scag with a 52" deck. many people have said you can hardly ever mow faster then 10mph. check with a dealer you might be able to get the 23hp with the 52" deck that would be like 2grand cheaper then a 26.

10. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to be bagging grass then seriously consider the 26 Efi unit or larger--the extra power will really help you inless than ideal conditions and you will not be sorry! Yes it costs a little more but well worth it!