1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

buying accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, Aug 1, 2005.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

is $900 a good price to buy 7 accounts that will bring in at total of 900 a month. They are all fair prices on the lawns.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds fair to me.
  3. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure the seller is willing to introduce you to the customers and confirm with the customers that you will be the new mower. Unless he has signed contracts the customers could go elsewhere. Price sounds reasonable if you have the money.

4. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Based on the details that you gave I would say NO. Figure you will lose some of them no matter what you do. I have always thought that buying accounts is not worth it. I would pay $450 now and them pay $50 per account that you still have in 3months which if you had all of them would bring you to a total of $900.
  5. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

very good idea. I was thinking on doing something like that but i do not need to deal with the agrument that it is not his responcibleaility for me to keep the customers happy.

i'm accually thinking of offering him cutting everything for a month and let him collect the bills for the month then let me take over.
  6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go for it. Doing what all degree said is probably a good idea. Either way its an investment that would pay off relitivly quickly.
  7. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

This is the logical way to do it.
  8. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

900 sounds like a low price to pay for accouts that will make 900 each month ..c I'd check into it ..and if everything was legit I'd definately go for it ..c
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

why are u looking to buy these? are they all in a row? remember that anything can happen. i lost a stop with 4 neighbors last year. one died, the 3 others moved. mind you, $900 is not alot of money
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Correct, nothing nore than petty cash. Spend the 9 bills. Who knows what other upscale services they people may want like mulch, fert, aerating, installs, reseeding, pruning, etc.

You gotta invest to make money. Period