1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

buying accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ChadsLawn, Aug 10, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Right now I dont know how legit this is. A guy down the street asked me if I wanted to buy some accounts. I asked how many he said 100.(holy crap)I asked him how much. He said 4 months at $50 a month. I havent seen these homes, but I have 1 in the same area and there pretty much postage stamps. He is going to stop by tomorrow and talk some more.
    Without seeing these and assuming the size. Is this worth 20g's. Also does anyone have a contract for buying accounts.
    Im going to see if he will split them up also. I dont think I can handle 108(I have 8 now) accounts right now. Im not in shape and my 36 is way too old to handle that many.
  2. scotty2

scotty2 LawnSite Member

You need to find out more about the accounts

1 Are they every week accounts
    2 How much money per account
    3 The norm is you pay for 4 cuttings per account( your lawn cost 25.00 per cut then you times that buy 4 you get 100.00
    4 have you seen this LCO around
    5 Make him show you the contracts you don't have to see the address
    6 Be careful
  3. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Usaully you only pay a months worth of income because if you loose half of them you would be out alot of money. be careful like he said fifty dollars a month seems really low.
  4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you will find thousand of answers to this question..... no matter what, they dont have to stay with you...
  5. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

If he shows you contracts make sure you read them through.Because our contracts state in them that we the contract is not assignable or transferable by the company without the written consent of the customer
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

no contract is transferable,.....they dont have one bit of responsibility to you unless they sign a new contract...

just hustle and get the accounts on your own...
  7. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

this is my thing on buying accounts...i just went tru...

how do you know they will be there next year....how do you know he just wont get them again...will it make you enough money that you will be able to buy them within a good amount of time to make money...but my main thing was how do you know thye will be there next year...

i asked the guy to sign a contract that within 5years he can not go to those custmers to cut their lawn and he wanted nothing to do with it...i thought i was being nice with the 5year thing but he said no so i said no
  8. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

Wouldn't going from 8 accounts a week to 108 a week be kind of a drastic change?
  9. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. Yes going from 8 to 108 is very drastic. Thats why Im going to ask if he wants to split them up.
    Scotty #1 and #2 I posted in the starting post.

It does sound alittle fishy. For 1 our neighborhood the homes were built in the 70's. There what people call them as nice little starter homes. Im thinking he maybe works for a big company and is trying to sell them behind his bosses back.
    But Im going to persue it so I can find out if its really legit. But Im not going to pay $200 per home.
  10. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree with dave.