Buying accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by manningslc, Aug 1, 2007.

1. manningslc

manningslc LawnSite Member

hey guys i am interested in buying account a guy want 4500 for 13 residential accounts plus a 36 inch scag mower i dont know what condition it is in yet i havent looked at it. is this worth it i think the price is a little to high because he wanted 3500 just for the accounts.

2. redneck1198

redneck1198 LawnSite Member

the way i was told to do it was. Find out what the accounts bring in a month then pay him for tree months of the accout. so if it was 100 a month pay him 300. and on the mower check to see how much a new one is and then see how good the one he has is..

3. manningslc

ok he tells me that i cannot personally go talk to the customers before the purchase because he says that i may try to advertise my business to them without paying him i want to go talk to the customers before hand so i know that they will stay with me what should i do

4. redneck1198

tell the guy that u want to go to the customers with him and talk to them to see if they will give u there word that they will atleast give u three months of mowing. if they say they can't then only pay half for that account. if he says u still can't talk to them tell the guy sorry but u can't buy his accounts without talking to the clients

5. manningslc

hey thanks for the advice sounds like a good plan hope it works

6. manningslc

ok i ran into another problem the guy said that he wants me to put down a deposit so that he knows that i am intending on buying the accounts before i talk to the customers any advice

7. leevubehind

leevubehind LawnSite Member

To buy accounts is correct for 3 months of service , but he needs to sign a non compete contract plus you pay him for half up front for accounts then together you open an account put the other half in both of your names like a trust acount for 90 days after customers have kept service for 90 days he gets the balance. Thats as far as you can be otherwise you could pay him & lose your money there are no true guarantees but this protects you.

8. redneck1198

ask him if the depoist is refundable or not. if its not tell him ur going to walk away then and see what he says

9. manningslc

refundable for how long do you think?

10. redneck1198

a week at most