buying accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JRS Landscaping, Apr 5, 2008.

1. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

how much should i expect to pay for accounts? i have the chance to but 10 accounts for $500. they are around $35-$45 an account a week for grass cutting. i havent looked at them yet (going tomorrow) but i have an idea of how big they are because they are normal sized lots around here.
    no contracts tho

2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

35 to 45 a week..
    10 of em for only 500?...
    That sounds like one hell of a deal!!
    But firstmake sure there legit accounts.
    Something like that around here would go for 5k...and that's through a friend
    in the biz!!

3. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

around here they would be worth 3 cuts each or 1050 if they were all 35 each.

4. JRS Landscaping

so this is deff somethng to look into. lol

5. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Just do yourself a favor and make sure you go to these houses with this guy and meet these people and make sure they are willing to take you on,
    i mean dont just take his word that these people want you mowing their lawns.
    I know before i gaave one cent id want to talk to all of them first and then id make him put in writing that he will not try to solicit them back in the future.

6. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

BIG W i could not say it better , i know people that paid money for 30 yards had 3 when it came time to bill them

7. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, if they are $35 each then i would pay $70 - $100 for each account who agreed to having me take over. but i would talk to each account FIRST and Make Sure. No Way would i pay for any accounts blind or without talking to the home owners First.

8. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

My advice dont pay for accounts that arent retained. meaning if only 3 accounts sign, then only pay him for those 3 accounts. Make them sign a contract!

9. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Throw 1000 flyers out there for $25.00 and some leg work and gain 10 new customers on your own. :walking::walking::walking:

10. JRS Landscaping

around here i pay .45 a copy for fliers so it would cost me 450 for 1000 fliers. i think im gunna look into this and possibly pass out some more fliers today