buying accts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jonnyg, Jun 14, 2004.

1. jonnyg

jonnyg LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

just wondering what is a good rule of thumb for buying accounts. currently looking at buying a spraying biz. we just bought a pro lawn sprayer for on the front of my grasshopper and my dad just got certified so we can legally spray. guy isnt ready to get out just quite yet but sometime in the near future. lets say his accounts are worth 50k(not really just throwing a figure out). what would u offer him for the accts? is their a rule of thumb like a certain percentage? also what would u put in the contract a certain amount off the price for every customer that doesnt want u to continuing spraying their lawn. pay in installments or in large lump sum. just curious wanted to know sum of your guys' opinions.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What are the laws concerning certification and licensing down there? I'm not sure about down there, but up here, we can't spray if we are just certified. To do it as a business, we have to be licensed as well, or hire someone that has a license. In order to aquire a license, you must hae atleast 2 years certified experience, and/or a bachelor degree in agronomy or some other agricultural related field AND atleast 1 year experince with that.

3. jonnyg

jonnyg LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

not really sure the laws up here. dont think they are the same as in michigan bc a guy who just got his spraying liscence this yr is out spraying almost everyday. he wasnt certified b4 this yr either bc he got a hefty fine for spraying illegally. my dad is the one who took the tests and wanted to kno this info. i also thought certified and liscenced were the same thing. shows how much i kno. might wanna check into that tho. thanx for the input