buying an existing lawn service?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sirsweatsalot, Aug 21, 2002.

1. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

i was woundering what would a guy pay for a lawn outfit with around 40 to 60 acounts?

2. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

Residential or commercial accounts, on contracts or just weekly. Does this include equipment? Answer these and then you can get a little more help.

3. sirsweatsalot

from MN

a few comercial but mainly res.. it does include some john deer riders but that about it.

4. Bill Davis

You are being to vague about everything to give you an honest answer

5. sirsweatsalot

from MN

could you give me a range

6. Bill Davis

well, how much do you think the equipment is worth.

7. sirsweatsalot

from MN

10 grand

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

So you were approached by someone wanting to sell. He tells you he has 40-60 accounts. You mean he doesn't know? Thats a 20 customer range that could equal to $1000's per week.

Next, can you handle an add'l 40-60 customers on top of what you already have? The added customers don't just mean added revenue. It means added cost. Added headache. Added employees.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going through the same thing right now, looking to buy another guy out. I've been told you should buy the account for about 3 or 4 week's profit. Go check out all the lawns and make sure the customers will stay with you. Then pick the ones you want and pay the man. Good luck!

10. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

I can't remember the post topic now but somewhere it was listed to make an agreement with the current owner with a payoff for a certain amount every month or quarter depending on accounts.

Rick