1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying an old JD or renting a big fine machine?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FredMaxwell, Jun 7, 2005.

1. FredMaxwell

FredMaxwell LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I saw one today. Crazy thing had to be 20 years old and it looked like it cut a nine mile path there.

Also what's the story on all of these bush hogs and everything else??
    I want to plow through fields and grass lots like Al Capone.

Around here in this one horse town - it took me weeks just to find a used trailer. And the only mower I have now is a lawn tractor. It's several years old and only 12HP for lord sakes (that and a 6.5HP pushalong lawn boy which is almost new)

So I guess I have to stick to normal lawns for now, which sucks because I want to get to start the mower, cut until I'm out of gas and then cut some more.

When some fool calls me on the phone and says "Look, I want this field cut down. The grass is 15" tall and it's a square mile" I want to be able to say "No problem there sir, I'll be out there to look at it at ___pm and I can start cutting by ___pm" NOT "I can't cut that."

My ad says "No games" and if some idiot wants me to knock down a field I feel I ought to be able to say "No problem" and then take his money away from him after cutting that grass down just like Al Capone.

Does it generally cost alot to rent a mower?
    Can you lease mowers?

Do I need to make them sign anything or show an ID before I cut the grass?

Can I file a mechanics lien on the property if the bill goes unpaid? (I know, for a fact that here in this godforsaken state you can file for these as soon as you set foot on the property - if you are making improvments - so I basically need to find the law somehow and figure out their definition of improvments)