Buying an older Walker

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by blimpguy, Nov 29, 2005.

1. blimpguy

blimpguy LawnSite Member

I just bought a house with a pretty good size yard. I've always wanted a walker mower but couldn't justify buying one for my old home. I found a used one in need of a good bit of work to get it going again. It's a Walker MC series and i'm told it was made in the late to mid 80's and that it's a chain driven off the hydros. I looked at it today and it's going to need a good cleaning as well as new engine. It uses a Briggs 11hp #254427. The shop wants $400 as is.
    The local walker dealer said to stay clear and that i'd spend more time under it than on it mainly because of those chain driven hydros. I'm a helicopter mech FT so i'm not really worried about doing the work. I just wanted to get a second opinion on the purchase. The hour meter was showing about 300 and the mower was owned by a resident that used it for his yard and did some side work with it as well ( about 5 yards a week).
    I'd like do do the same thing for some spare cash. I don't mind working on it, but not if it's going to be to expensive, or to time consuming.

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

First, if you have time I would estimate everything you think it is going to need and call about the parts. Then put all your prices together and see how you think it will fair out. Sound like a good time to have some fun in the garage. but i wouldnt spend too much on it.