Buying an X Mark, HP52" (LHP5223KC)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rougewave, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Rougewave

Rougewave LawnSite Member
    from Texas

A great site!
    I am buying some more land and it's time to pull the trigger and buy one. What do you think? Would you get the Kohler 23HP or the Kawasaki 23HP with it? Any other input would be appreciated .
    Thank you !

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What's the price difference?

3. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

The Kohler is probably about $300 to $400 cheaper then the Kawi. I have the 23 Kawi on my 60" Lazer and it runs well but in the tall stuff around 8 - 10 inches or more it would be nice to have the 27 on board instead. But for your purposses I think the Kohler would be just fine and they have come along way from years ago and their bad rep.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't really think it matters which. But I say that with no experience with the 23hp Kohler in this application. So I will say this.... I REALLY like the 23hp Kawasaki in this application. Exmark sets it up well and I love the sound of it behind me while it's working. It has that diesel sewing machine like sound going on. It's also really strong... way stronger than the 21hp Kawasaki I have on another brand of machine.

The only thing I don't like about this setup is that it is very thirsty.
    It burns a LOT of gas per hour. Both of my Kawasaki's burn in excess of 1 gallon per hour.

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

or take a look at the EFI its one sweet machine.

6. Rougewave

Rougewave LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Thank you for the input ! :cool:
    I am leaning toward the Kohler 23HP.
    I am thinking the 52 inch deck will alow me to get closer to trees and rocks (boulders). The 48" has no part of the deck that extends beyound the wheels. Is this "proper rationale?"
    Thanks again,
    Robert

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a full size Lazer Z (as series) with the 23 hp kohler. I don't think its much more expensive than the smaller Z's. The 60 inch deck makes trimming a breeze and the 23 is plenty of power for the average yard. Some yards I mow every two weeks and it goes thru them fine (I keep my blades sharp). I did tackle a yard that had just been bushoged last week and had very thick thatch, so much I was pushing it like a bulldozer. I had to go over it slow a couple of times but thats the exeption rather than the rule. Thats when a 27 or 28 hp would have come in handy but most of the time the 23 will mow at full speed in 1 or 2 weeks growth. Always get the widest deck you can and better to have too much hp than not enough even though I have been happy with 23..

8. Envy Lawn Service

Yes, that is the proper thought process. It does provide trim ability. But choosing this option is not without trade-off. It does scalp a lot easier, but not terribly. The weight distribution is not equal due to the offset deck and castors. This does not matter at all if you don't have steep hills. The ride does buck you a little more due to the castor offset. But lots of ZTR's ride a lot worse shock wise.

However, the biggest thing is if you mow any tall stalky grasses like Bahia or non-turf type tall fescues, ect. Anything with fast/tall upright stemy growth. In my opinion, the front castor offset is too extreme to the right. From the castor tire to the discharge chute, the 52" HP really struggles to cut the taller stemy stuff. The grass pushes over and to the right. This causes it to miss and leave a mowhawk of stringers down the right side.

The Toro Z450 series 52" and the Hustler Mini Z 52" are both set up better as far as castor placement in my opinion. But not everyone has to deal with these types of grasses. It cuts perfectly on lush turf.

9. Envy Lawn Service

All good advice. I think I'd go for the regular Lazer Z though for the canister air filter and better tires all the way around. I have seen the full size 23/60 Lazer Z priced at less than the 52" HP. Same with the Toro.

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The filter on the HP is the same as the Lazer,The tires are the same tires just a different size due to weight distribution, and no you won't buy a standard lazer for less than an HP.
    A lazer AS or a CT yes, not a standard lazer.