buying backpack blower soon

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pottstim, Jul 18, 2003.

1. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the market for a backpack blower. I despise the Poulan I am currently using, and I can't wait to replace it with commercial-grade blower. My dealer up the road has a Shindaiwa EB500 for $389. Is this a pretty decent price? Last time I was there, he was pretty much picked over on Shindaiwas, so that prevented me from checking out the EB480. This is a slightly less powerful blower than the EB500 is, but oddly enough it weighs almost 2 lbs. more. I don't know what the price difference is between the two, being as he didn't have a 480 in stock. Plus, I failed to ask them while I was there. So, I'll have to inquire about that when I visit the dealer tomorrow. I assume most of you guys would opt for the EB500. The dealer also has Red Max, and I am gonna give them a closer look also. Any advice from you guys would be appreciated.
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about the schindawa blowers, but I have a red max eb7000 and I love it. The power is amazing.
    I think if I was you, I would consider spending a few more dollars and check into the bigger schindawa or a red max. The power will save time and amaze you....
  3. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have an Echo dealer in town?

If you do, the PB-603 is the best $399 you can spend. Very good power and lightweight. If you want the most power available you can step up to the PB-650 at $499....awesome!

By the way, Echo backpacks have a 2 year COMMERCIAL warranty!!
  4. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

or buy the Echo PB750 online for ~$450.
  5. Don’t spend 80% of the cost for a top-of-the-line blower and get 60% of the performance. This isn’t the magnitude of buying a diesel engine versus a gasoline engine on a ZTR. If you’re in this line of work for the long-haul, you’ll forget about the price difference between a mid-line and a top-of-the-line model in a few weeks. But you’ll be dealing with the performance EVERY time you use that tool.

If all you’re doing is blowing grass off of dry pavement, then the lower-power unit would be fine. But what about when it’s wet, or just a large wet spot? Lots of power comes in handy when blowing in clumps of grass or digging leaves out of a flower-bed.

Contradicting myself, I have the large Shindawa and think it’s over rated. Never the less, if you could get the Echo PB750 for $450, that’s a great deal. Do a search on this website. I’ve yet to hear a negative word on them or the Redmax.
  6. CTservices

CTservices LawnSite Member

I own a Shin EB630. If you are interested in this model, I may be able to put you in touch with a dealer if you are in S.E. TN. I demoed the Stihl 420 and the 630. The Shin 630 won hands down. No good echo or redmax dealers around here, (that I have found)

Email in Profile.

7. lancestapp

lancestapp LawnSite Member

Just bought a redmax, and love it.
  8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Can't go wrong with the Shindaiwa EB 630. I think I paid $479 for mine.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have eb7000 and 7001. Get the redmax 7001, its unbelievable.
  10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i bought the echo PB750, same as teh 650, just with a bigger air cleaner and extra-padded strapps (worth their soaking wet weight in gold).. I paid $483 for a floor model that had never been started.