Buying bulk or as you need?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AmsoilPower, Jan 10, 2008.

1. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering if you guys purchase your parts by bulk or as you need them. If you don't buy in bulk, what is the reason(s)? Does you dealer not offer a bulk parts (spring order) program? No one has ever approached you about it? Do you feel it it too much $$$$$ upfront?

Do you buy your oils (2 cycle mainly) in bulk. Several guys around here have purchased 55 gallon drums of mix. Some buy the cases. Everyone is different. Buying bulk saves you $$$$$ in the long run.

Shoot me a PM and I can give you a quote on bulk oil.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im a solo operator so I dont have many mowers and dont need to keep Bulk parts. But I do keep spare belts and blades...before I did...it seemed I always lost a belt at the worst time.

Far as oil goes....I try to keep 1-1 1/2 years supply on hand.

wayne

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I'm solo as well. I'll buy blades in semi bulk quanity along with a few belts and such. I don't go crazy though. I'll buy my sae hd30 oil by the case. As far as 2 cycle oil goes, I buy a couple 6 packs at a time.

4. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I only run one crew. And now that I'm working alot less and my employees are doing more % of the work more stuff seems to break. I like to have extra of everything saves on downtime issues. Blades, belts, 2 cycle, Oil filters, Air filters usually buy a bunch at a time to have plenty on hand. When something breaks I usually buy 2 replacment parts so that when it breaks the next time you have it. I run the same bp's and trimmers, Hedge trimmers, So it only makes sense to buy a nice stock of stuff.
    Chemicals I buy as needed but a month in advance. Mainly because I don't have a proper storage facilty for it.

5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

2 cycle oil - a case at a time. Trimmer line, I get three cases at a time - usually last the year for me. Trimmer heads, springs, eyelets, dumps, ect - I usually by the dozen - cheaper that way for me. 2 belts for every machine, one extra spray pump on hand, I order of bag - usually 24, fuel filters on hand - cheap insurance. Usually order a case of oil filters - all engines are the same for the Z's at least. I get a 55 gallon drum for bulk oil for trucks - a small 30 gallon drum of oil for the diesel equipment. That is stuff off the top of my head for now!

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

we dont buy bulk but we keep many spares like belts and blades but feel no need for like 5 extras

7. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Bulk-oil, blades, belts, tires, chain(chainsaw), filters - everything else as needed..

8. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Bulk Bulk Bulk

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If its something were using on a regular day to day basis like oil, trimmer line, 2 cycle mix, blades, chain saw chains, filters, grease and so on I make sure we always have plenty on hand but as far as chemicals I buy what we need when we need it. Bulk rock is something I would like to have on hand but at this time I have nowhere to store large stockpiles of landscape rock.