buying business (revised)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green boy1, Oct 24, 2006.

1. green boy1

green boy1 LawnSite Member

Ok guys, like 2 weeks ago I post thist thread and some of u guys gave me good advice about buying my friend business or start from the floor this next season.

Any ways I almost decided to buy his business but what's the problem? He want to sell a Pick-up s10 (He paid $1000.00) bob cat ztr 61"the bagging system(I need to repair a corner is broken)with 535 hours 2 weed eaters echo 210 and a echo bp 403 for:$10750 and $1500.00 in accounts(the customers know me already) all the equipment is 3 years old.

The dilemma is I can buy all the same equipment new and find my own customers in about 3 months and just expend:$8453(and I don't want a baging system for the moment) and with $842.00 I can do 40,000 door hangers that should be enough to find my own customer, so the total of the investment sould be:$9,295 saving$1,455.I have my own trailer 12x6 new and a Chevy 98 1500.

So What is your opinion buy or not to buy?:cry:

Thanks in advance guys.

2. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

break the numbers down for him just as you did to make this post.....then negotiate!

3. coolbreeze

coolbreeze LawnSite Member

i don't see the problem. if you can get everything cheaper including your own customer, why not? are you trying to help your friend? if so, why not ask to just pay him for $1500 for the customers? the customers can leave at anytime and we getting into the fall season, so you wouldn't actually be getting 1500/mo from them.

4. green boy1

green boy1 LawnSite Member

He dont want to go any lower and he wants to sell untill january or hi stay in business he told me because he works in a company 4 days and he take care of the customers on friday.

5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

It make no sense to buy his used junk for $10K. It is absurd. The equipment is maybe worth $4 or $5K.

Offer him a fair price and wait. Start buying your own stuff. He will come to his senses when he has no other offers.

6. coolbreeze

coolbreeze LawnSite Member

i would skip it. sounds like he is trying to charge you what he initially paid for it, even though it has been used quite a bit.

7. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

NO DEAL!!!! just buy your equipment and move on
    That IMO is no deal!!

JM2C

8. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, go ahead and buy new equipment and find your own customers.

9. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Pass and start from the ground up. If you already know the customers you can always get them if he does quit. I am not saying go to them now and try to take them awaky but you could get them if he does quit with out paying him a dime for them right??? Good luck with your decision.

10. abuckeye

abuckeye LawnSite Member

Friends and business don't mix. Buy your own equipment and get your own customers. JMO