1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

buying chemicals from farmer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sirsweatsalot, Feb 5, 2003.

1. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

i was wondering if any was ever buys bulk chemicals from like a farm chemcal place or a co-op elevator. i know they can mix it to what you want for levels. i know what everyone is thinking i fell of the hay wagon!
  2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are using them on a lawn or landscape, you MUST be sure they are labeled for lawn and landscape use.

There are different packagings of Roundup.
    one for Ag and one for Turf and ornamental
    Same formulation but don't get caught with the wrong label.

I do get some of my stuff from an ag coop but the material is specifically labeled for turf use.

Just something to keep in mind
  3. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Be veryyyyy Carefulllllll

Paul is absolutely correct, if you get caught with the wrong stuff it is a big fine...

Anyone that is properly certified and in spraying biz should already know this...?????
  4. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

If it's just fert. Yeh! Why not. I bought some from a co-op once. The only problem i had was dust. There fert was dusty compared to others. Could save some $$.
  5. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I have bought fertilizer from a farm dealer. It was a heck of a lot cheaper than lesco and lebanon. I had them blend me a 24-8-8 with 50% scu. $225 per ton, delivered and stacked in my barn!
    I also got a 10-20-20 with micros for $250/ton
    I had no problems with dirt or dust but a few bags drew in moisture so I had some clumping.
    It's worth a try.
  6. I get my fertilizer from a farmland farmers co-op
    they carry wider range of products than most others. I don't buy any pesticides but I know they do supply local turf Co's.

BTW are those goats for eating or looking. I can tell you they don't taste like chicken.
  7. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

that was very helpful. i was really just thinking about fert not round up or anything.

take it easy greenngrow
  8. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

I have bought a lot of supplies from the local farm Coop. Be careful of the label. They should be able to order about anything you need. I use their rinse pad on the rare occasion I need one. They also give me their walk in requests for lawn treatment, since they don't do that type of work. Other than fertilizer you generally can do about as well at Lesco. I buy all my Ag supplies and fuel from them , so they get into my pocket enough anyway.

CCLAWN LawnSite Member

Hey weedburner, you using FS? We have a supplier here that offers great prices on chems and fert Turf labelled of course. the problem in, the FS in the county north of us does lawn care to compete with us. kind of a double edged sword. you have any of those problems up there? Talk about low ballers...WOW