Buying Customers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by csoldier, Mar 15, 2007.

1. csoldier

csoldier LawnSite Member

Hi. New to the lawn care business. Owned and operated a window cleaning and pressure washing company in New Orleans the last 8 years. Trying to start over in Florida. Thinking about buying a lawn maintenance custoner list to get a quick start. 28 customers- $4384 per month. Guy is asking $8000. Good price or not? Also, what is a decent mower to start with?
    Thanks!
    Mark, Santa Rosa Beach, Fl.

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i wouldnt pay more than $50 or the price for one cut on each, do what you have to do though. i couldnt image 2 months wages gone.

3. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

If you got the cash, thats an easy way to get into the door. Make sure those 28 customers are going to be loyal to you. Most likely, they have alot of other jobs that need done that would be yours as well.

4. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure they will stay with you for a while cause if they only let you cut once and then tell you to never come back your S.O.L. big time cause you lost $8,000+ whatever you are gonna spend on mowers and trailers and trucks and what ever else you would want. i wouldnt pay more than $100 but thats just me. there are other ways of getting people then buying a list off some one

5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

make it contingent on the customers staying with you or a percentage of who stays with the max being his asking price. The price doesn't seem outrageous.