Buying decision dilemma- Please Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dsaldivar, Jul 28, 2004.

1. dsaldivar

dsaldivar LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone,
    I'm in the middle of deciding which Z mower to purchase and having mixed emotions about which way to go. I'm looking for some help from this forum. Which way would you go?

1st Option- about 2 years old. Toro Z 253 62" 23 Kohler SFS deck with about 600 - 700 hours used by another landscape operator. Real clean and I know it has been properly maintained because my equipment guy maintains it.

2nd Option- Exmark Lazer 60" 25 Kohler, trivantage deck, 1997 privately owned by a homeowner to cut his non-irrigated fields about 3 months a season 177 hours on the guage. Looked at the machine and looks real clean for 97 and oil is clear. Test rided and appears to run good. Only problem is there are two different type of back tires. Asked owner what happened to other tire he said that one got punctured and replaced with a different type. looked under to see if there was any damage doesn't appear to be any at all.

Please if someone could give me any help in deciding the way to go I would really appreciate it. Time is of the esscense.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. dsaldivar

Sorry forgot to give prices.

Both are asking $4500.00

Sorry and Thanks again.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

personally I'd go with the lower hours.

but you gotta consider that '97 kohler. there were issues with head gaskets on that unit for a while.

the price seems a little high for those units IMO. but I dunno.

4. dsaldivar

Thanks geo for the reply.

Anyone else?????
  5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I think $4500 is quite excessive for the 1997.

Doesn't matter about the hours, it's still 7 years old.

should lower the price more than that. I might be more inclinced to go with the Toro -- too bad it isn't bigger than 23hp.
  6. dsaldivar

Thanks Green.

Yeah, That's the major dilemma I have with the Exmark it is still a 97.. I too was wishing for a bigger engine on the Toro and skeptical of the SFS deck compared to the Exmark's deck... But an exmark dealer told me that they have put exmark decks on toro machines but if I did that I would think a bigger engine would be required to.

Thanks again for your response I appreciate it.
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I have several Toro's and IMO the price is too high on the Toro too. I also don't like the SFS Deck. The New 7ga decks with the adjustable baffle is killer though.
  8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Yeah, I think the Toro price is still too high also.

Also, isn't the trivantage considered the inferior Exmark deck vs. the ultra?
  9. dsaldivar

Thanks for those of that replied....thus far.. Hey Toro owners and feedback on the Toro mower?

10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

What MMLawn says....the new Toro 7 guage decks are awesome!

Honestly on a 60'' deck I would think 25 hp is the smallest engine I'd choose. Rather a bit more than needed than too little, imo.

You may consider taking a Toro Z500 series for a spin, worth the extra bucks if you are contracting.

Remember 2nd hand mowers can save you a lot initially, but MAY cost you later, I like knowing I have warrantee when my income depends on it.