Buying equipment from Rental Stores.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CRM Lawncare, Oct 26, 2004.

1. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

Anybody bought used equipment from a rental store before. Our local rental joint has a bluebird 434 and a claussen split drum aerator for sale. I'm more interested in the claussen, but I know how some people beat the crap out of rental equipment. They want $700.00 for the bluebird and $1500.00 for the split drive. These prices seem a little high for rental equipment but I haven't started talking them down yet. Does anybody have any aerators in the N. Carolina area they wanna sell?

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

it all depends on the condition and the nature of the rental store. is this a private rental store or a national chain like cat rental, united rentals or nations rent? if it was a bigger chain, theirs a better chance that they did all the proper maint. it all truly depends on the condition of the units, look them over and ask questions...then based on those answers you can talk them down accordingly.

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

As you pointed out most everyone beats the crap out of rental equipment. If they are serious about selling these items as for the rental receipts to see how many times each of these aerators were rented. I would also ask to see the service records for these two items. I concur that the prices seem a little on the high side.

Gravely_Man

out4now likes this.
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Rental stuff takes to much abuse. Try looking elsewhere or if you don't need the machine often just work in the rental price to your jobs. How mnay times have you rented equipment that functioned but was never really performing like it should? A few times a year we rented certain pieces of equipment that our budgets jsut couldn't handle the purchase of and the stuff never really was very good, usually worn out and sometimes we had to take it back and exchange for another machine. Had these experiences at all the rental yards we used.

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a Vermeer 25hp chipper from a rental store 3 years ago. It had 900 hrs on it. Paid $5200 for it , which was about half of new cost. Its been a great unit sofar. Most of the time you can tell condition just by looking .

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a used aerater 3 years ago and it works great and has mor then paid for itself.