Buying equipment in fleets

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Lawn Boy Pro, Aug 1, 2003.

1. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you guys buy new mowers and other equipment in fleets? If you do, how much do you actually save?

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

What is the definition of a fleet order? (how many?)

3. The Lawn Boy Pro

I THINK 3 or more. Not sure, maybe LGF can fill us in.

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I know what you mean about having a fleet account. I believe however that the numbers are different between trucks and mowers. I know that when you have a fleet account with a mower company, you pay only a few bucks over what the dealer gets charged. However, if you are going in there and dropping $50,000 on mowers at once it's worth it for them.

5. The Lawn Boy Pro

I was just wondering how many guys got all new mowers at once, instead of buying individual mowers.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I buy as I need...I ain't no Brickman unfortunately.

7. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I hear you there rodfather. I have seen Brickman go into a dealer and drop $80,000 on mowers at one time. Apparently that was a small purchase. A good size purchase for them is apparently like $300,000 - $400,000 on mowers and trimmers and what not.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have done it 3 times...once with mowers, once with snow blowers (which was stupid, we had the worst winter ever), and once with mowers, trimmers, and blowers.

I will never do it again though. I do have to admit that I did save about $150 to $200 off each piece of large equipment and around $50 off the trimmers and blowers whenever i made a large purchase.