Buying Equipment - Is Price Negotiable?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by trackgimp, Jan 15, 2006.

1. trackgimp

trackgimp LawnSite Member

Hi all, just getting started and have started looking at equipment. Are the prices at the dealer negotiable like they are at the car dealership? The dealer I went to yesterday said that if I bought about $20k worth of mowers then we could work on price on a fleet basis.

Any help would be fantastic!
    Thanks!!

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

My experience has been so far, for the most part they are negotiable. I cant tell you all dealers are willing to or can negotiate, but for all purchases I make, personal or business I always ask about discounts for paying cash, paying the whole amount, etc. I guess I just plain out try and bargain for the best possible price on everything, worst that can happen IMO is you get told no.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We take the approach that we want the dealer to get a fair profit. Then down the line he can cut us some slack when the unit is broke and we need his help. For example we get same day service on our big equipment, when his turnaround is 14 days. Dealers play a key role on warranty sometimes, especially on engine warranty. Really important to have good relationship with the dealer!!

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

It really depends on the dealer. I work with two dealers, first one, the price is the price. The second will often bargain a little, and will frequently give an 'out the door' price, including sales tax and everything. It really just depends on the dealer.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

A car dealership has a lot more room to negotiate the prices than a small dealer.
    It sure can't hurt to try,if you think you will be buying from the guy again ..you might let him kinda know you intend to keep your biz with him..that will help..but don't say it if you don't mean it.

6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i bought a new broadmoor from my local dealer and the two of us negotiated the price down a few hundred dollars from what it listed for. $3775 to $3400

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer never posts the prices on the equipment. He does this thing when you ask "how much" he will pull out his chart and sit down with a calcualtor and add things up, scratch his head and chin, sigh a couple times, and then give you a figure and tell you what a great deal it is.

After that act you will either feel like he really worked up the best possible deal leaving him very little profit or you will see thru the act and realize that everyone gets the same price reguardless of who you are. He's hoping for the 1st because most will feel special for all the figuring he did that he is working hard to make the price just for them and they won't even bother asking him to take less.

Salesman tactics 101. It's something that is taught, though some do have it naturally...

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on the dealer from what I've seen. Also depends on whatever piece of equipment you're buying...a hot-selling item, they really have no reason to lower the price.

The dealer I buy most items from, his prices seem fair, so I just go with it.

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Did you mean LARGE instead of CAR,
    I agree a large dealer can move around more.
    It is funny that you say Car as most car dealers do not make money on "Selling" cars but look at the service part of a dealership to bring in the money. A lawn equipment dealer has a lot more markup on the stuff he sells and looks to make money "selling" the stuff as well as repairs.
    But both work for the same goal. and that is to make you THEIR customer.
    So yes, a dealer will work with you on price and yet make money now and try to make you a customer.

Just an added idea is most dealers will have "open house" in the early spring and the manufactures will be helping with the deals too so it is a great time to shop.

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I try to buy all my equipment from the same dealer. For 5 years now I have made minor purchases every couple months and a major purchase every year. Sometimes I get a break on price, sometimes they'll drop what they are doing and show me/fix it for a handshake. What ever you do, be honest and don't force them to give you a discount. They are a business and are trying to stay in business and that takes profit.

FYI, I asked my dealer why he didn't have a particular compact utility loader in his lineup, he replied they only would give him a 5% mark-up and by the time he shipped them in and marketed them, he would be losing money.