Buying equipment off ebay, and importing into canada

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by t190, Feb 25, 2007.

1. t190

t190 LawnSite Member

I was wondering what duties and taxes you had to pay to bring a piece of equipment over the boarder if you bought it on ebay?
    iam trying to see if it still will be cheaper to import it, or to buy it up here.
    shipping is not a big deal, because we run down south everyday, but i was mainly wondering about what you have to pay at the boarder?
    I have heard you do not need to pay duties if you buy off ebay? is that true?
    Thanks

2. t190

t190 LawnSite Member

anyone????

3. east sooke man

east sooke man LawnSite Member

I imported a new machine that was built in italy and imported duty free into the states, so when i brought it through the border ( FOR PERSONAL USE !, didn't use my truck with signage on it) I only had to pay gst and pst. You need to check with someone who has done exactly what you want to do, same brand and type of machine to know exactly what will happen. Customs does have a phone number you can call also. Remember, the customs officer at the border also has bad days and you don't want to be there when that happens either. good luck sometimes everything goes well too.

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

We bought a motorcycle off ebay from a guy in canada. He was suppose to meet us in NY with it but as it turned out he didn't have it titled up there (not sure y) but at the border they impounded his truck as well as the bike. I never got the bike and loss $500 that the a$$ kept from the deposit to get his stuff back. I never would have bought it had he told me up front he couldn't get in the US.

5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it would be cheaper to buy it in Canada then to have it imported to you. Seems like a lot of hassle to go through to get it shipped across the border.

6. t190

t190 LawnSite Member

45 up here to 20 in the states, i will take the hassle of the boarder, over 20 grand

7. minibin

minibin LawnSite Member

t190,
    I just went through this debate and then actually imported a vehicle 10 days ago. I bought a hooklift truck from PA and drove it back and imported the vehicle. I highly recomend using a customs broker the did all the paperwork and made it simple for $250. I found the hole process to be very straight forward. There are many purchases that are duty free, for example things that are more than 60% made in the us are covered under nafta. So you pay
    250 Broker
    190 to CDN customs Fee
    /// GST
    the i had to pay pst when I registered it (you may not have to)

I found it to be worth while, if you have questions I will do my best to answer.
    PS customs never even looked at the truck just at the paperwork from the broker...

Bret
    Burnaby, BC

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You got your truck back to B.C. Bret ?

I found myself a truck on a dealer on the Langley Bypass a 2003 F-450.