1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying equipment over border

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by natureman, Jan 18, 2005.

1. natureman

natureman LawnSite Member

Any Canadian operators considered going over the border to save money on equipment? Seems to be a big price difference,think I could save $2000.+ driving to New York state and picking up a Toro Z550. Could someone recommend a good Toro dealer in New York state. Thanks!
  2. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

make sure you talk to a Brokerage Company first so all the paperwork is done when you get to the border. Saves hassles and having to pay right there.
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You are so right!!!! It's going to be more of a pain then it's worth!!!!!!!!!!
  4. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

If you could find the right dealer they may be willing to wright up a sales slip for the selling price being lower than you actually paid. I had heard a couple guys did this w/ sport bikes.Dont know if they just lied at border on amount or if dealer helped, but couldnt hurt to find a dealer & at least talk to him about it. I need to get a bigger trailer this year and I found a dealer that told me I take care of sec. of state paperwork (will have to pay tax :realmad: ) but the dealer said the mso is a sticker on the tongue. Michigan went to permanent plates last year- I dont wanna have to pay anymore :D .Just talk to the dealer-hopefully someone will recommend a dealer they work w/ all the time & his salesman will "take care of you".