buying ferris or gravely ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spinrider2000, Dec 15, 2006.

1. spinrider2000

spinrider2000 LawnSite Member

Tomorrow I am buying either of these mowers:

ferris 1500 52" cut, manual deck lift (demo) with 25kaw for $6100
    or
    gravely 252 (demo) with a 27 Kow command pro with hydraulic lift deck for $6995..

Dealers location/quality equal. Any pros/cons? thanks , spin

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Did you demo

3. spinrider2000

John, I did demo at the dealer. I thought the 252 was a beefier machine with a wider stance. The ferris had the ride. I have used the 1500 in the field, it had good power, cut and climbed hills well. There were just variables I could not see or feel. I have experience with the KAW engine and not Kolher. So, there was a mystery as to the Kolher. thanks, spin

4. John Gamba

from ct

What variables?? It seems that you like the ferris

5. spinrider2000

I have previous experience with the small 34z gravely. The 34z has done nothing but make $$. So, by experience I would favor the Gravely. However, models are different. Just asking for any cons.

6. John Gamba

from ct

In my area i like the deeper deck on the gravely. I have a 48" 5.4" deep deck gravely now and it did good this past season when the triton failed. I think the gravely has less moving parts(IS) and will mulch better.

Your turn:)

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$900 is quite a savings along with having the independent suspension on the Ferris

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Gravely dealer, so am a little predijuced. However, that aside, I also work on Ferris machines from time to time. The 1500 is very poorly designed when it comes to doing routine maintenance. Nothing is convienent, the footplate does not even flip up for access to the top of the deck. Changing the oil and filter is a real pain.
    The Gravely is by far the better machine here. Actually, you are not comparing apples to apples. The lighter built Gravely 152 machine is more like the Ferris 1500. That is why you are seeing a large price difference.

9. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea the Gravely has the larger hydros (16cc) and what looks like a bigger frame. I demoed one last spring and liked it very much. To bad the dealer was a joke. I have no experience with ferris so I can't speak for them. I think the gravely would be the one I would choose.

10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Gravely's 100 series would compare to the 1500. The 252Z is a step above the 1500 and would be well worth the extra money.