1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying Fert/Chemicals

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by scweedman, Dec 11, 2006.

1. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

I have to battle with Lesco on my prices. So i stop using them because it
    was such a hassle.They are more expensive when i started shopping around.
    I don't have a problem with there products just hoops u have to jump through
    Just wondering is it just my local store are is this normal?
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We buy from Lesco and haven't had any problems. The price depends on the quantity purchased.
  3. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

with lesco it depends on who minds the store. Also the small business man gets no deals. there are a lot of companies that will deliver products. UAP
    Prosource One, helena to name a few. They all have 800 numbers. call and see if they deal in your area. UAP is one of the few who deal in quality ferts and blends with all kinds of prems.
  4. scweedman

I started using helena 2 years ago never had any problems great service
    and prices.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You definitely have to shop around. I like lesco, because they have all the chems I need, any ferts that I use, and other products as well, such as my insecticides, spreader/sticker, good literature they give a away. The guys are helpful, but I wouldn't be able to afford the product if I wasn't getting a 200 ton a year discount. Well, before, we were getting 120 ton a year prices.
  6. scweedman

I have meeting this week with Lesco to see if they can give me some better
    prices. I will use 20 tons next year, maybe we can work out
    something.I have always felt like lesco really didn't care if they had my
    buisness are not. And Helena has went out there way to help me.
  7. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Buying from Lesco is like buying from a used car salesman only less scientific. They will take you for as much as they can. If you think you are getting a good deal know that there is someone out there buying the same amount of product or less and paying less than you are.
  8. scweedman

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think so from our store. I've talked to several lco's in the area and the have told me themselves that they are paying more. There are a few that are right in line, but they are lco's larger purchasing margins, also.
  10. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I use Lesco because of convenience - 5 miles from me. Helena & another Lesco ar 30 miles away.