Buying first bed edger please help

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by wiseguyslawn, Mar 6, 2011.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Will be using only to shape beds before mulch. I have seen the brown mfg. one that appears to be the most expensive. A yellow little wonder hydro model, a turfco model, and one that appears to be a weed whip with a different attachment of course. Any advice or comments would be great. THanks

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a Turf Teq its the best its faster then any i tried

3. beachlandscapes

beachlandscapes LawnSite Member

I use a Turfco bed edger. By far the greatest and easiest machine i've ever used to put a deep cut edge on beds. You have to order directly from turfco but they are very friendly and helpful. I think i paid around $1300 and it paid for itself in about 1 month.

4. Fawcett

Fawcett LawnSite Member

Its a PITA but I love the results I get from my squared spade.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I used a Brown last year to try and re-cut a few edges at a property last year and hated it. The Brown is a good machine, but the wheels kept dropping into the existing trench.

Would love to try the turf teq, that seems like a great machine.

What I'm currently getting the most use out of now is my yard-boss tiller head on my FS-90. It's bigger and more aggressive than an echo re-definer, (but doesn't throw crap at high speeds) but yet lighter and easier to deal with than a dedicated walk-behind edger.

Ultimately I feel I get the best of both worlds, and I spent pennies in comparison.

6. brandon@snellers

brandon@snellers LawnSite Member

we have an echo bed edger unit, works great i think. looks and feels like a spin trimmer almost. good luck.

7. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

How many tine's do you take off to re-edge?
    Thank's.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Usually the two on the inside tines. I keep the washer on to help protect the sealed bearing in the housing.

I want to come up with a sleeve or something of that nature to help keep that washer in place, but I just replace the bearings on the drive/worm gear this year, and the shaft bearing still felt great so I left them alone.

When I wear out this set of tines (5 years old, cultivator tines), I want to take the hubs and make a very small diameter tines to use for the inside of the bed, and keep the bigger two on to cut the edge.

Another modification thought too is to come up with a small wheel with a bearing to use as a roller on the side with no tines.

9. bmoorefield

bmoorefield LawnSite Member

I rented the brown bed edger, not sure which model but I wasnt thrilled about design of controls. I ended up buying a bluebird bed edger (lightly used for $1500) because all of the controls are on the handles and it is chain driven. Every so often I run into rocky soil and have had to replace the blade (cost around $165). In my cases a tooth has been chipped off of the blade and I continued to use it until further damage has occured. This will be a great investment for your company...saves a lot of time.

I am interested to here what people have to say abou the Little Wonder and the Turf-Teg, they both look like great machines. Pros and cons would be nice to hear.

10. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Stihl sell's the wheel as an attachment for the yard boss tiller.
    FC-MM Bed Edger..come's with a wheel and one straight tine cultivator......it will fit the BF=KM cultivator, in fact all the yard boss accessorie's will..