Buying former rental equipment: Would you?

Discussion in 'Rental Equipment' started by tlc1994, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

That's the way my rental department (shop foreman) is ran, If a machine isn't 100% it doesn't get rented or sold. The last thing I want is to cause a contractor or even homeowner down time from faulty equipment.....

2. Southern Heritage

Southern Heritage LawnSite Member

I've purchased some from rental houses with great results. Now a competitor of mine has bought tons of stuff. Sod cutter. Rescue saws, chainsaws, mortar mixer, concrete mixer, etc. they lover the stuff he picked up a wackier tamp last week for $350.00 I was pissed cuss I need one bad

3. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful and check out the equipment! The big "green" rental place sells a lot of their equipment with problems. I bought a rollback truck from them - Blown head gasket. Drivers daily logs I found under the seat noted the issues. They denied it and refused to do anything about it. An equipment dealer bought 10 skidsteers from them and ended up sending 8 to the auction because of major issues. Not all rental places are the same, but some sell equipment for a reason!

4. joe crumpler services

joe crumpler services LawnSite Member

One of my associates bought a Case backhoe from a rental firm in 1997. I ran it myself for a couple of years until I hurt my back. He still uses it, but not every day. He just replaced the pump in the transmission. Everything else has been normal maintenance.

5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Bought my mini ex from united. Where else are you going to get a printout of every oil change and greasing? Tight machine, wouldnt hesitate to do it again

6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

United is literally the next block over from my house. If I could find a used CTL w/ cab from them I would buy it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Most of what i saw was bare bones, no cabs etc. whats nice about them is they have a master list and can grab stuff from other locations all over the country. I called every major rental house and told thrm what i wanted and united found it for me and set it up

8. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk LawnSite Member

I just bought a fully loaded Cat 259B3 from a Cat dealer's rental fleet. It has 660 hours on it. I agree with the prior post on where else can you find the comprehensive data on maintenance? I can even track how many hours a day the machine was ran on any specific day due to the tracking system installed on the machine.

Some types of equipment can't be abused as much as others and most rental places where I live always give you equipment that is pretty fresh.

Due diligence is key.

9. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

I have had great luck with the RENTAL Equipment that I've purchased from Sunbelt in years passed; I bought a Ryan Lawnaire IV that was 2 years old for $700 and I still use it from time to time because of its reliability.

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

its like buying from anyone else sometimes you will get junk sometimes you will get a deal .