Buying from an online dealer???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by christoff, Dec 18, 2007.

1. christoff

christoff LawnSite Member

Im looking to buy a backpack blower from an online dealer off ebay. Will I be covered by the warranty if the blower runs into problems. Should I buy from my local dealer and pay $252 dollars more for the same model?

2. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

as long as the unit is sold "new" from the dealer, it will be covered under warranty at any dealership you take it to. However, don't expect to get it worked on anytime soon, between the repair dealer checking with the factory to make sure this unit is under warranty; to the fact that he probably would rather excise a tumor with a spoon then do underpaid PITA warranty work on a unit that he didn't make anything on.

3. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

this is true .. a long time ago i bought [new] off e-bay and when i did have problems the local dealer took a long time because of the fact i did not buy threw him he had no paper trail on it . it took 12 weeks to get my repairs but it all worked out

4. lakesidecutter

lakesidecutter LawnSite Member

Which one are you looking at? Some seem to stand behind their products better than others.

5. christoff

Echo PB 755 $430 free shipping

6. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

Buy two of them, one back-up for when the dealer does decide to take their sweet time repairing it!

Where did, or should I say are you buying it from? I wouldn't mind saving that kind of money. Besides, of all my equipt. my backpacks have had the least amt. of breakdowns..........

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

For that kind of price I would take a chance on it, what I mean is just assume No warranty.

Now you do want to check it out right away, the very day it arrives, so if anything is wrong you can deal with it between yourself, the seller, and ebay.

But other than that, you'll likely never have a problem with it.

8. christoff

9. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

So your dealer is selling the same blower for $682? I think you could find one at a dealer for less than that ( my dealer sells for 459 +tax ) and that way there wouldn't be a warranty problem. I would pay probably pay 10-15% more to buy from a local dealer only for the service. If I need it fixed I can't wait 12 weeks. Just my $.02

10. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

The thing is, I simply would not be able to live with my local dealer charging me that extra 252. I would not buy it from that dealer period. I have purchased Redmax, Husqvarna, and Shinny online because of the price. Havent had problems. If you figure you know more than the manufacturer and dont mix the oil right or are just plain unlucky, You may have problems. I had a problem with getting my Shinny delivered because the dealer wasnt supposed to undercut and his distributor was after him for selling to me. Thats called price fixing and its supposed to be illegal. I called the Shinny 800 number and talked to a bigshot. I got my order shipped that day but they put an end to that dealer selling online. I dont tolerate poor dealers well and I think anyone should be able to sell anything they want for the price they want. Our laws agree but they arent enforced. Im off the soapbox now THX