Buying from the "big box"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rhythm28, Apr 30, 2008.

1. rhythm28

rhythm28 LawnSite Member

I'm looking at a few zero-turn mowers at Lowe's and Home Depot. They don't have all the horsepower I want but they are definitely within my price range. My question is: Should I stay away from these stores and look somewhere else or go ahead and buy what I need from them? Thanks!
  2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

after several years of working in this industry...
    I will never ever...
    never, ever, never buy a residential piece of equipment that is to be used everyday.
    but that's just my opinion.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If money is an issue you're as well off looking in the classifieds for a used rider, because I agree you might see why we never buy them kind of machines, I did... But 4-5-600 for a nice one and you're set, you can get one for as little as ~1-200 sometimes.
  4. rhythm28

rhythm28 LawnSite Member

they've got some zero-turn mowers. i'm not talking about your everyday, $300 "residential" mower.
  5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

Your probibly thinking of the JD Z225 or something like that I believe. That mower is still a residential mower even though its zero turn. If you use it everyday for commerical use, in no time the whole thing will start to loosen up and feel crappy, then the breakdowns will start. I would steer away from that. I know its entising because of the price, but you'll be glad later on that you didn't get one. This applies to any of the zero turns at lowes or home depot, weather it be the toro, deere, cub cadet...

BUT one thing that home depot does sell that you can use commercially if you'd like and I think are the best ones around, are the the Ridgid hand tools such as the bow rakes, garden hoes, shovels, etc.... The best part is they come with a LIFETIME warrenty.
  6. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Get a commercial, even if you have to go used, you'll be very glad you did. Residential zero turns start crapping out after a few hundred hours, where commercial usually make it 2000+ before anything major ever happens.
  7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

They have commercial string too for your string trimmers. :)
  8. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand that.... but just because you sit on it, and it goes round and round and round, doesn't mean it's commercial grade. And HD and Lowes products are not commercial grade.

You asked 'if you should stay away from these stores...' and you got some answers. Yes, they're in your price range, but they are not commercial grade long lasting machines built for everyday use. HD & Lowes machines zturns are built for the 1-2 acre residential homeowner.

If you wanna cut 3,4,5 relatively small lawns a week, then SURE go pick one up, but it won't be long, (promise) before you're wishing you had bought something commercial.