Buying Gators Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

My blades are getting to the point where they ding if I hit anything harder than a day-old muffin. Id like to try Gators, are there dealers in Canada or do we have to pay USD for them?

2. FLANDERS

FLANDERS LawnSite Member
    from CANADA

I think I can remeber seeing them in Canadian Tire. Check there.

3. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

My dealer here in the Toronto area carries them. Your local dealer should be able to get them for you I would think.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I understand your curiosity. I had it, and bought them.

and now I am so happy that I run high-lift blades year round.

the whole point of my mowing experience is to be happy and make money.

I had less of both while I was running gator-blades.

that is my experience, yours may be different.

"live long and prosper", mister spock said.

GEO

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I say give them a try. They are all we use. Cheaper than high lifts here and work much better in our conditions. High lifts do nothing but clump.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

cheaper? I haven't heard that since I bought my last set of gators.

and would you happen to have a theory on why your experience is exactly opposite to mine?

and how do you get high lifts to clump whereas the gator's do not.

I am asking for real, not setting you up by asking. thanks.

GEO

7. Avery

No idea man. Just know that my dealer charges less for Atomic's. Not much but it is less. But like I said. I like Atomic's. I would be willing to pay more for them. I cannot explain why they work better but they do. Couple of weeks ago the dealer was out of Atomic's so I had to use highlifts. Could not believe the difference. Lots of clumping with the highlifts. We cut mostly hybrid Bermuda and up until about mid morning all of the turf is wet from irrigation. Thick, wet bermuda clumps like all get out with highlifts. My only theory would be that it is too thick and the blades are too fine to be pulled up by the vacume of the high lifts. Plus we maintain it at a fairly low height. Then we have an HOA that gets a weekly cut. Six miles of whatever will grow without irrigation. Mostly orchard grass, crab grass and Bahia. We mow it at 2.25" which is removing quite a bit of material. High lifts did a very poor job at that location. But it was damp as we cut it early and the dew had not evaporated. Highlifts probably work well in say dry turf or tall fine turf like fescue. Just been my experience that in dense or damp turf they do not work at all.

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

same here except I use atomics.

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

whoops, avery beat me.

10. Avery

Forgot this part too Geo.....Highlifts do not last worth a crap in the sandy conditions we have here. Sail is worn off in only a couple of days. The Atomics allow the sand to pass through and last much longer.