Buying home w/ 4 acres. need mower advice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by osu9400, May 4, 2007.

1. osu9400

osu9400 LawnSite Member

I'm new to owning this much land and am really worried about keeping it mowed. I don't enjoy mowing and have always paid a service to keep my small yard mowed.

What type of mower can help me get the job done quickly? I need to keep the price of the mower as low as possible.

The land is 4 acres, it is flat, and there are several obstacles like trees and fences. Several means there are more than a few but not wooded.

I guess the ideal mower would be a fast ZTR, but I don't know what the best value is. I found a 48" Husky ZTR for $2799, but I don't know how fast it is. Can I beat that price on another brand?

Thanks for your help.

2. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

With 4 acres go with a 72" and at the minimum 60" - commercial if u can afford it. Husky is not the best. You really do get what you pay for.

3. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

round up works great

4. osu9400

osu9400 LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply. Which brand do you think offers the best value? I doubt I'll go commercial unless there is an outstanding value somewhere.

I also saw a Craftsman ZTR for about the same price. Is this better than Husky?

5. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

have you looked on this forum under this heading MEMBERS ONLY FREE Equipment & Parts Marketplace lots of good mowers for sale and most would be alot better than a Craftsman or Husky .look here and see what you might find good luck and yes ROUNDUP DOES WORK GREAT AROUND FENCES .Twj

6. osu9400

osu9400 LawnSite Member

7. osu9400

osu9400 LawnSite Member

8. dwbarg

dwbarg LawnSite Member

Stay away from the mowers from Sears and box stores. Look at brands like Hustler, Exmark. Scag, etc. Look at what the professionals use. Each one makes a homeowner model that will hold up better for you. With the amount of grass you have to cut, you may even have to go a notch higher than the homeowner model. These commercial manufaturers use better hydro pumps and engines. The frames are stronger and the decks are welded, not stamped. But you are correct in looking at ztr's. You get what you pay for. I have a Hustler 18/52 that we cut 3-3.5A with and we love it. About a $5000 mower, but it will last me forever. Hustler now has a 21/54 fastrak. Has a Kawasaki engine.

9. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

4 acres is allot for a homeowner that dosen't like to cut grass....lol

Is the property smooth or does it have some rough areas in it (ruts, bumps, tree roots)?

The reason I ask is that flying over bumps and tree roots is going to be hard on equipment which is one reason that people are telling you to stick to comercial units.

Are you set on new equipment?

Allot of LCO's trade off or sell their equipment on a regular basis. You can find a used piece of equip that will last longer than one of the box-store mowers.

I would also look really hard at something with a 60" deck and possiably a 72 if it's really flat to where you wont have scalping issues with it. Anything smaller than a 60" is going to get old as the season goes on.

-TAZ

10. Matt Bernatz

Matt Bernatz LawnSite Member

I'd find out exacltly what you want, and wait for Memorial day sales at Sears, Lowes and Home Depot. Even 10% saves a ton of money.

Or get last year's model, I just did from Sears. I got an $1,800.00 model for $998.00. I only have 2 acres of land, and only need to mow about 1 acre. my first go around took me 1.5 hours:weightlifter: . I did by a lawn tractor (42"), not a zero turn.

Good luck, and if it makes you feel any better, I was in your exact boat (small lot with a service to take care of it, now I have 2 acres). I loved riding that mower:)