buying irrigation shovels

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by b-green, Mar 8, 2007.

1. b-green

b-green LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of a good quality shovel that can be bought online or what website to look at. Most of the shovels are cheap and end up breaking in just a few months of use.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

We use the 6" wide trench shovels through jdl, they are green w/yellow fiberglass handles have had a half dozen of them for about 3 yrs now. They are great unless they get run over by equipment.

5. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

6. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

I use steel D-handled shovels I got thru JDL. Can't find a link to it though and the label is peeled off. First one is over 2 years old and has a good 5 years left. Indestructible. It was pricey though, $52.

George

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I like the 4" kenyon trench shovel like in Purp's link. The one I had and left in the van at my last gig was over 4 years old. The one before that was a wood handle I had for almost 6 years.

9. Mad Estonian

Mad Estonian LawnSite Senior Member

Structron for me too, broke one shovel 2 or 3 years ago now, like Bobw says, just take it back to the distributor and there's a new one in your hand right away, no receipt or anything.

10. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

thats pretty cool.

ive had a brand called 'Dottie' made of solid plastic type material. not hollow like fiberglass, so if it gets run over it wont break.

i havent had much luck with fiberglass handled shovels and rakes, i think their durability is severly overrated.

alot of my shovels are wooden, they last a year or two, and those replacement handles arent cheap!