buying larger hydroseeder

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mak landscape, Sep 23, 2006.

1. mak landscape

mak landscape LawnSite Member

i have a turbo turf 300 jet machine and it has worked well for me on smaller jobs(20,000) or less. i have used it to seed over 60,000 sqft but it takes quite a while. i have borrowed a 1000 gal easy lawn from a friend to shot 3 acres and it made me want to by one the next day until i saw the price. about $35,000 with all the options. the easy lawn has a lot of great features like a stainless tank. but it is a little out of my price range seeing i won't be using it every day. i was looking at the turf maker 800. looks like a great machine for the money. anyone have any experience with this or any other brand worth while.

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes i have a turf maker 550 for about 1 year. They are a great machine especially for the money. How are you going to pull it etc.? I have the 550 plus a 525 nurse tank giving me 1000 gal. capacity. I have this mounted on a 16' 12000 gvw trailer. How you benefit from this is i go to fill site and fill and mix seeder, then fill the nurse tank. Go to job and apply first load, then there is a hose ran from nurse tank to the pump on seeder, pump the water in to seeder and mix the load and apply. I pull this with my f-350 srw. Turf maker is built good and has the benefit of being a mechanical machine allowing you to use the 70-30 wood blend mulch. I have pumped a thick slurry up hill 250'. Your jet machines can not do this. My total investment was under $ 15,000 which includes 550 turf-maker, nurse tank, all fittings and hoses, trailer, honda portable pump, and tool box. Check my web site www.bobcatservice.com than give me a call.
    Mike

3. mak landscape

mike i was wondering if he turf maker has a bail grinder and if you have the canon option. the easy lawn i use has a canon and it shots about 150' and is a lot easier than lugging the hose around. this easy lawn also has a 60 hp diesel and i find it had to believe that a a 20 hp gas motor can produce 100 psi like the easy lawn. i too was a firefighter and when the reel is cranked all the way the pressure is much like an 1 3/4" attack line. can hardly hold onto it. wondering if the turf maker has pressure like this.

4. Mike33

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

For you guys who hydroseed with large machines, if there is not a pond nearby, what do you use for water? A fire hydrant?

6. Mike33

Im a 1000 gal. cap. and i use a hydrant in a certain area and pay around 3,00 per thousand gal. Otherwise i go to a stream and use my portable pump. We have a lot of streams in my area, my emplloyee is a big fisherman and knows them all. These little things you make sure of when bidding.
    Mike

7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Buying a bigger machine isnt all it cracked up to be. I have a truck mounted Finn 600 gal and a truck mounted 1200 gal Bowie. Guess which one gets used the most. A couple of things to consider. The size truck needed to pull a large hydroseeder. The terrain of the area you will be driving over, cant pull those big seeders up gravel driveways around here. Even with 4x4 ton trucks. Even 500 gal machines are hard to get into some places. Ever try turning around a large trailered machine in tight areas, on steep roads. I know not everybody seeds in the mountainous terrain I have to work in, but I know for a fact i get a lot of jobs nobody else around me can do, simply because I chose to mount my small machine on the back of a truck. I can get into and out of places that others with similar size trailered machines only wish they could get to. The guys with the 1500 gal-3300 gal machines wont even try. Turn around time with the smaller machine isnt any longer than it would be with the large machine. I can spray 600 gal in 30 min with the Finn or 1200gal in one hour with the Bowie, it just dont make sense to me to even own my big machine most of the time. On wide open flat areas, the bigger Bowie is hard to beat, but if you are in tight manuvering, steep situations, The smaller machine is the way to go. I also have a nurse tank, I set it on and off of another ton truck for when the water gets to far to hual with the seeder. I usually stop and fill both tanks before going to the site, As soon as I refill out of the nurse tank, I send that truck and tank back to the fill site, This takes more man power, but everyone is always working and not just riding back and forth in the truck.

8. mak landscape

it sounds like the system mike has is ideal because he has a smaller machine with a nurse tank so it is like a 1000 gal and it is mech agitated. this is what i want to gain i feel that a mech machine has more power and wood mulch gives a better end result. if he had to sneak into a tight space he could always put the seeder on the back of a 1ton for maneuverability. i probably wont by a new machine until the spring so i have got some time to decide. my buddy picked up his easy lawn at new england grows in feb. it was a demo with 60 hrs and he got it for 9 grand off list. thanks for the input

9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I use a 300 gallon unit, and use 2 325 gallon nurse tanks as well. On residentials needing multiple loads, we set the two nurse tanks up with a garden hose running to them after getting on site. I usually go with my first tank loaded from the shop, and can transfer the water from a tank in about 1.5-2 minutes. I can easily shoot 11-12,000 ft2 in a little over an hour this way. Times are even better when filling directly from a pond or lake. We have kicked the idea around of buying a 750 hybrid unit next year, though. Mainly so we can be in two places at once, or have available backup on larger acreage jobs to get ina nd out faster.

10. Subseven

Subseven LawnSite Member

I know this is old....but who makes a 750 hybrid?