Buying lawn accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Catos, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Catos

Catos LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

What type of experience have any of you had from buying someone's lawn accounts????

2. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

we bought some lat year and in the long run it worked out well but at first it was hell after the accounts were turned over to us not all the customres transfered because some were angry about being sold and then anohter problem was what we were told they were being billed for wasnt always the case make sure u ask if they are cut every week every other... get everything in writing and dont buy the comapny just buy the list then your not liable for any of the other guys problems down the road

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Recently I ran into a guy who just wanted to give me about 15 of his accounts. He said he was way overbooked and stressed out. Unfortunately I couldn't handle anymore myself. I'm sure when I'm ready, he won't be anywhere to be found...LOL. If I was to buy any accounts, I'd want to contact the people first, just to make sure everything was OK with them. Don't want to buy a bunch of PITA accounts...

4. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

A guy in the next town over bought about 75 accounts along with the equipment from a guy who wanted out! Within about 2 months after he did this over half had quit him so he was out a chunk of change for nothing ! Well almost nothing! He did get 36 or so to stay with him and he got 4 mowers and a bunch of handheld stuff, a trailer, and a pickup for his $15,000 check !

5. Greenservice

Greenservice LawnSite Member

I started my business by buying some accounts from my old boss who was retiring and moving out of state. I had the advantage of knowing personally a lot of the customers because I was the one who always did the work for them. It was a pretty smooth transition, but I still had problems. He sold me some chronic late payers - one of whom I had to threaten with court to get money. I had to drop a few of them. One of the bigger accounts I bought was a church. He was a member of the congregation, so he gave them a real low price. It was a tough sell for me to get the price up to what I thought it was worth, but in the end it worked out.

6. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I've never bought accounts, but I have had a few given to me. One I still have who is up the street from me. The guy, who I did subwork for didnt want to do it because you have to move a lot of toys before mowing. The other one, the guy was moving so we got him for spring cleanup, and up to mid August mowing. We picked up another 2 when a kid went to another state for college. They are right near other jobs, so thats good. THey are also in check with what we would charge.