1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

buying leads ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nekos, May 16, 2006.

1. nekos

nekos LawnSite Member
    from chicago

i got a call from some guy today trying to sell me lead's. he is affiliated with my insurance company and < so he say's > that all of the leads are from people wanting insured landscaper's. they also do back ground check's on me before they will even let me use this service !!! from what he was saying the leads he has , the people want to know their landscaper not just hire Joe from down the block.

he claims to have alot of leads in my main area and few in an extremely rich area i have been trying to break into.
    has any one had any luck with this type of service ?
    any thing to watch out for ?
    im always a little weary when people call me out of the blue offering something...
    like the saying go's, if it sounds to good to be true it usually is !
  2. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I would tell him I don't support telephone solicitors and hang up.
  3. sbc1971

sbc1971 LawnSite Member

This is total B/S. Tell him you will pay him for the people who sign up.I guess the used car lot he used to work at must have not worked out.
  4. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

I figure it costs me right at $30 to aquire a new customer through advertising; whether its a flyer or newspaper add. I would give him something lower than what your average cost is for a signed contract.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I never buy anything from anyone who approaches me out of the blue, no matter what.

It's not to say there may not be a good deal comes around from time to time, but it has been my experience that more often than not, this is not the case.

I'd freely ignore the entire thing, but if he calls again, I'd follow sooner's advice and tell him he can have 25 dollars for every signed contract and I guarantee that either shuts him up or makes him go "but, but..."
  6. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

8. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

Nekos- don't do it! You'll be wasting your time and $$$$!! Even if he does produce some leads for you there more than likely WOOD! A good friend of mine who is a LCO got approached by a company that sold leads this spring and he fell for it and took the bait...guess what. He got 7 Sh*#y leads(WOOD) paid $550.00 for 'em and didn't even get 1 job. They were just SH*%T leads, commercial accounts just out price shopping with no intent to change Contractors. Do your self a favor, save your cash, if people need a service they'll call you.
  9. atlewis

atlewis LawnSite Member
    from atlanta

I've looked into a company like that myself. Same system...you pay for the leads they send you but you set a spending limit each month. They also charge initial "administrative fees" for setting up your account. The guy told me I could get as many or as few leads as I wanted and that he had hundreds every week in my area. I told him if it was so great why didn't he provide me with a few leads to prove it to me. Supposedly, he set me up on a free 7 day trial. Since then I haven't heard back from him or any customers from his service. Go figure!:rolleyes:
  10. guven

guven LawnSite Member

What is leads, what do you do with leads. you mean heavymetal.
    I do not get it what is going on