Buying LZHP Soon

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Gregg in CT, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Gregg in CT

Gregg in CT LawnSite Member

Hi Guys. I have been cutting my lawn and a few others for 5 years with a 48" Metro HP and will soon be upgrading to a LZHP. My first choice was the 48" deck but I am concerned that the deck doesn't stick out far enough beyond the wheels to edge? I really don't want to get the 52" deck because I have no room for a trailer and want to stick the unit in my pickup to get it around.

My second concern is how do you clean out the deck and change blades on the LZ'S? On my Metro I stick a 2x4 under the deck after lifting it up by hand. The LZ's are too heavy to lift by hand.

Last but not least, are there any good books out there to read on how to cut lawns? Since I am self taught and wishing to start up a part time mowing business, I would like to know if I am cutting lawns the best way.

Thanks All for any advice! Gregg

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I seriously suggest NOT loading a Lazer into a pickup bed. Not very safe unless your ramp is long and heavy (ie: 10' long heavy duty metal ramps.) 2x10's won't cut it! Your going to be 350lbs heavier in just mower, then you have to factor in YOUR weight sitting on it.!

I suggest that you spring for a small trailer and go for the 52" Z and get faster top speed AND the much better trimability.

Good Luck!

3. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

first thing, if you are thinking of any kind of ZTR, get a trailer. Your asking for trouble loading and unloading a rider all day long. Get the 52 inch dech HP too. The 4 inches isn't that big of deal, but it goes 2mph faster than the 48 inch. 4 inches+ 2mph=More productivity=more $$$$ You also can lift the front of the HP's up by hand. I do it everyday with all three of mine. Just lift it up and slide a cement block under the wheel. They aren't that heavy, but you can also use a floor jack if you need to.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Gregg,

The guys are right. Don't put the mower in the back of a pickup and NEVER use split ramps. Any ramp used to load and unload the mower onto a truck or trailer should be full width.

The danger of using a split ramp is a rearward tip over. On a full width ramp if the front wheels begin to lift from the ramp the rear of the frame could catch the mower and prevent it from tipping over backwards.

The other thing you need to consider is how high the bed of the truck is. Most truck beds sit substantially higher than a trailer floor. A safe ramp that doesn't exceed the mowers maximum 15 degree slope would most likely be quite long and need a great deal of support to cover such a large expanse.

Thanks

Terry

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

6. eXmark

Greg,

Sorry I kinda forgot the rest of your question.

John is right the Jungle jack is quite common. Some guys use a floor jack and jack stand, some will use their trailer ramp or a car ramp etc. There are even a few that use a hoist.

Probably the most common for the commercial guys is the trailer ramp and the jungle jack. Most homeowners use the floor jack and jack stand. In a pinch a curb will work as well.

There are some publications out there through www.alca.org and www.plcaa.org. One of the best resources I've seen for guys getting started in the business is right here. LS can be a great learning tool if you want to spend the time to read some of the various topics current and past.

From what I've seen a large number of the members are pretty good about sharing information and youÂ’re talking to guys that are doing it everyday.

Thanks

Terry

7. Gregg in CT

Cutter1, TLS, John Gamba, and Terry@Exmark: Thanks for all the good info. I probably will go for the 52" deck and a small trailer. Great site, Great people! Will visit This site and beginer site often.Thanks again, Gregg

8. eXmark

Gregg,

Great! It's no secret I really like the LHP 52". It'll be a good machine for you. If you buy before October 31, 2003 you can get either a free mulch kit or a free striping roller.

Thanks

Terry

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Gregg
    Go striping roller!

797reas.jpg

10. Gregg in CT

Yes John, I will be getting the striping roller. Lawns in Connecticut seem to stripe very well... Gregg