Buying Magnamatic 9000, is the balancer worth the $?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by plc87, Jun 12, 2011.

1. plc87

plc87 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Tired of spending time on blades. I figured you spend 11k on a ztr why not spend 600 on something that makes changing and sharpening blades a piece of cake.

Anyone have the balancer and is it worth the money? I currently balance mine on a 5/8 inch bearing. I tried to have them explain to me what the difference between that and their balancer is and their explanation was way over my head. IMO they plan it that way to make them sound super human smart when really it's the same thing!

2. LaLawnGuy

LaLawnGuy LawnSite Member

I have both and the balancer is great. I've only had mine a couple of weeks but it makes a world of difference on my Hustler. My Grasshopper and the Ferris aren't as noticeable on the balancing, but the sharpened blades are daylight and dark difference.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

You'll be happy with your purchase. I've been using mine for 3 or 4 seasons now. One thing, if you mow areas that cause a lot of dings in the blades, like I do, it pays to change the blades before they get too banged up. It only takes a few seconds to bring the edge back on a slightly dulled blade, but can take quite a while if the thing is really banged up.

I normally run mine lightly at a 90 degree angle across a fine grinding wheel to get the edge back behind most of the nicks in the blade, then grind to a sharp edge on the Magnamatic. Don't know if anyone else uses this method, but it works well on blades that have dings in them from rocks and gravel, which mine usually do.

4. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

6. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

What are your thoughts on what it is worthless?

7. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Blade grinder's are a good tool, that one look's like the cadillac of blade grinder's...
    Hope you enjoy it.

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

The balancer is nice. I'm amazed at how many people don't make the effort to properly balance their blades. In fact I'm amazed that they sell brand new machines with grossly unbalanced blades on them.

The only "problem" I've had with mine is that because some of the blade holes aren't exactly made very precisely, you will get a different "reading" on the blade when checking it multiple times. So what I usually do is check it then take it off and check it again...only takes a few seconds. In other words, because the blades holes often aren't perfect, it will mount on the balancer slightly differently each time you put it on....it's a problem with the blades not the balancer though.

A nice feature of the balancer is that you can easily check for bent blades too. I always feel like an idiot when I find a bent blade after I took the time to sharpen it, lol. Check them first!

9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Just get the "pack" and dont look back. Im sure your 5/8 bearing works but I bet the Magna balancer is quicker, easier and more accurate.

If you sharpen regularly, say every day or 2 they are very quick and easy to sharpen. Makes it much less of a chore (and for me anyway) and becomes part of the pre load up check over like oil levels, grease, blow down/clean etc.

Those cone balancers are rubbish. You may as well use you elbow!

As far as taking nicks out, I dont bother. Just sharpen till about .5mm blunt edge and nicks will come out over time. Grinding them out lessens the blade life IMO.

10. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Hello All,

Just a point on the table-top cone balancer that was mentioned.

The problem that exists is that the steps in the cone are not the exact size of the blade hole - so if the blade is on the step slightly off center you will bias more weight to that side of the blade.

It becomes very time consuming to try and perfectly "by eye" line up the hole to be perfectly in center on the step of the cone, and if you do not place it on the cone perfect every time your readings will be different.

In short, it is an unreliable measuring tool because it has no way to ensure consistent or proper use to provide a repeatable reading. In general this tool and/or using a nail-in-the-wall as a balancer will cause more harm than good.

See additional info here:
    http://www.magna-matic.com/page/nail-wall-not-balancer

Thank you,