1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying mini ex need advice

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by vtscaper, Mar 30, 2011.

1. vtscaper

vtscaper LawnSite Member

We are going to buy an excavator this year. After renting for seven years its time.

I am looking for feedback on specific machines.

I have a case, cat, deer, volvo and hitachi dealer/service nearby.

We are looking at the 8-12k machines.

I am partial to CAT- I own a 257B. So 303.5 or 305 are both machines we have run and liked. Hitachi 50 we have spent a lot of time on and has been a great machine. kubota are nice and have worked well. Not crazy about komatsu or yanmar. Never run a case or deere.

Let me know
  2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Takeuchi 153. the TK's swing boom is awesome. Also liked the Case/Kobelco/NH 50's and Hitachi 50 size.
  3. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

Hitachi/Deere's 35D and 50D are awesome, tons of power, really smooth. Bobcat's new E50 is very similar. Both of these should blow any Cat machine out of the water. I haven't run the new 305/.5D, but I did like the cab when I got to look at it at a show.
  4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The 50 class machines are a little different than the 60 class machines and I think it is very advantageous to step up to the 6 ton machine.
    I have a KX161 and for what I do I have not regretted purchasing the larger machine.
  5. 5speedpsd

5speedpsd LawnSite Member
    from NWCT

The company that I work for has a kubota kx121-3 great machine and has always surprised me when I run it. Very comfertable also. Has about 3000 hrs on it and have had little to no problems with it, just have to open the hatch on a really hot day to get extra air into the radiator. Great machines very reliable if I were to buy my own thats most likely what I would purchase. Not a big fan of the bobcats that i have run but have maybe logged a total of 20 hrs in them. Volvos 55 model is also very nice. Has tons of options available and is very comfertable and smooth to run. I have only ran them for a few short periods of time but was very impressed. A friend of mine owns one and swears by it. I'd recommend a kubota from what I have seen but would definitly look into a volvo.
  6. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're looking at a Deere or Hitachi 5 ton machine you might want to see if you have an Airman dealer near you Unfortunately there aren't many). Airman makes all of the Hitachi/Deere mini's from 5 tons and down and they usually have a lower price point because you're not paying for the Deere or Hitachi name. Good machines, as are the IHI machines.
  7. zopi

zopi LawnSite Member

Was gonns say, cat's forte is heavy industrial...would go with someone who is heavy into small equipt...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. vtscaper

vtscaper LawnSite Member

great guys thanks. keep it coming
  9. mbstump

mbstump LawnSite Member

I was never a big fan of Bobcat mini's,but when they came out with the new E series I was impressed,I was almost sold on a Kubota,but they couldn't match the price or options,I bought a 2010 E35 Long Arm with cab and a/c,thumb 24 inch gp bucket and 36 inch grading bucket.I have logged 300hrs so far and am very impressed,it is quiet,comfortable,fast,smooth and has lots of power.just my opinion.
  10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Bobcat and Hitachi are the better names here, I'm not a big fan of the Cat mini's, they are just too slow in the bucket curl, you can't get the sticky bits out of the buckets, the Hitachi's just scream speed in that circut and thier pilot controls are just so smooth. Bobcat really came back hard in features, but the dog meat eatin' Koreans are to thank for that.