Buying Mowers Online vs. Local

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by -, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Guest

Got a dilema, I am close to purchasing a Great Dane Super Surfer 52" 19HP Kawasaki. Local dealer wants $6,700 ($7,200 with sales tax). Seems a little high to me and he won't budge an inch. Alamia has the same mower in stock for $5,600 (free shipping, no tax).

Now I'm all for supporting the local Mower Shops, thus getting better service after the sale, but at what price? Is this worth the $1,600 difference? How is warranty work handled when purchased online? Do the local Dealers still do warranty work on the equipment if purchased online or out of town?
  2. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

You could fix a lot of problems for $1600. You should call the company and ask them about the warrenty.
  3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We have purchased from alamia and the warranty is from the manufacturer. The warranty is suppossed to be honured by locals who sell the same product but many here have said that they have had trouble with them fixing things under warranty that were bought online. We on the other hand have not had any trouble.
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

When you buy online the mower comes in two or more crates, to be assembled. Can ya handle it?

If there are parts missing/damaged you need to fight it out between the seller, shipper, mfr, and whoever elses hand is in the pot. Can ya handle it?

When you need warranty work chances are you will be unwelcome at the dealer you blew off to buy the machine online, and best case will sit at the back of the bus waiting for the machine to be fixed elsewhere. Can ya handle it?

If you answered "yes" to ALL the scenarios then buy it online. If not work your local dealer a little more, then buy it from him.

You can lose out of mowing a lot more than $1600 worth of lawns while your machine gathers dust waiting for service at the shop you didnt buy it from.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

As a commercial cutter, normally the dealer knows this and will take care of you right away. That is, if you bought it from him. He's not going to be as eager to bend over backwards to help you if you were not loyal to him. $1600 is a lot, but if the mower was down for say 3 days, what would it cost you? But if he could have it back to you in 1, would it be worth the money difference? What if it needed work more than once? Then say total of 6 days verses 2. A few trips to the shop could hurt your business badly.
  6. double e

double e LawnSite Member

You might want to go to the dealer and show him what you can get one for. See if he will budge a little- mabe meet you in th middle
  7. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard a lot of bad things about the Super Surfer. Read some of the posts on them. The new redesigned Super Surfer with fenders should be a lot more reliable. Check into it.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Ask if he'll meet the on-line price. I don't mean half way. Other wise get the mower on-line. $1600 will but a lot of other lawn related items.
  9. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been to the Alamia site alot. They do have some good deals on mowers. Why don't you ask your dealer to give you a 15% Discount. if your going to deal with him alot. I get 15% off any item i get form my dealer. But the mowers on te Alamia site are warranted. Same as the Manufactrues. 1600 is a nice chunk of cash. If you do order it ,and are not sure how to get it together. I bet you know someone ,like a cutter buddie of yours who would help. If the dealer wasn't going to treat me right i think i might order form them. Marks Mowing Service
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This dealer who isn't budgng on price - what makes him so great that he can do that? Even if you DID buy from him, does he offer demos to keep you up and running if and when your machine goes down? How is his parts availability. Many times, it's the dealers who don't do very well that don't or can't come down on price. I'd shop around. If this mean not getting a Super Surfer, then so be it. You're probably better of anyhow - esecially with not dealing with THIS guy. Oh, and when you DO get a mower that you have backed support with a demo, and a price that was worked a little for you, don't forget to let THIS guy know that he COULD have made a sale.