Buying my first Cummins!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lawn Enforcer, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a Ford with a plow a couple months ago out of necessity, but now a Ram with a Cummins is available for me to purchase. I'm now in the process of selling the Ford, and then buying the Cummins.
    1989 Dodge W250, 1st generation Cummins, 4x4, long box, 7.5' Meyer steel plow (in EXCELLENT shape), 180,000 miles, rebuilt auto tranny 3,000 miles ago, new injector pump 900 miles ago, steel wheels, good tires, 5" stacks, 10 cab lights, for $2,600.
    This will be my first diesel, so any and all knowledge I can gain will be golden. Anyone have tips for me? What kind of maintenance schedule should I follow?
    Thanks!

2. hondarancher4435

hondarancher4435 LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats you will love the truck. Nothing beats a cummins. sounds like an excellent deal you are getting for the truck. You will want to check out cumminsforum . com for all the info you will ever need. as far as oil changes i would go every 5000mi with rotella T 15w40.

I drive a 1996 ram 2500 12 valve cummins.

3. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

awesome deal. I have 3 cummins. best engine ever made.

4. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

Those cummins will put that PSD to shame! Great Purchase!!!!!!!!!!!

5. BTM Lawn Maintenance L.L.C

BTM Lawn Maintenance L.L.C LawnSite Senior Member

He never said he had a PSD no was one spoken of..Pay attention..:hammerhead:

6. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

haha:laugh:

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I have a feeling this truck has been beat on a little bit so keep in mind your buying somebodys worn out junk.

If its had rebuilt injectors something is wrong with it I can see the injection pump being a rotary.

The rebuilt automatic is a given.

It is a Dodge what do you expect the 5.9 Cummins has always been a throwaway engine like the rest but so many people are brainwashed into thinking its the best engine on the planet. Cummins makes millions of dollars off of the brainwashed people and the people that sell the performance stuff make even more money.

Cummins had absolutely no market for the 5.9 engine till Dodge started using it. If it wasn't for Dodge Cummins would have stopped making the 5.9 long time ago before they even started making the 24 valve or the 6.7.

8. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh:You done? You can unravel your panties now.:rolleyes:

9. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

Injectors on that engine r now $20.00, and can be done in 1 hr. that cant be said for a psd.......ive been brainwashed for 10 years and my friend with a 6.0 is now poor since hes blown an engine and 4 trannys. His 04 wont start now and cant afford to get it fixed, after throwing another $1200 at a new ficm. 6 in a row is the only way to go cause a v-8 just aint that great

10. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Haha

I know a guy who just bought a used 6.0 and the thing took a dump on him a month after he bought it. Has to get a whole new engine.

I'm "brainwashed" too though.