Buying my first Stihl today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barringtonbrothers, May 14, 2004.

1. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I own red max, but I want to try stihl out because everyone says there the best. I had to take my redmax weed eater (which I love)
    into my mechanic because the effing thing keep flooding and fuel would drip out the carb. Its about 4 years old and I just had the carb rebuilt. I went to adjust the carb and theres no carb adjustment screws, its just set permanently. He gonna try and fix it, but I dont want to depend on it. So Im gonna buy stihl and use it next to my other redmax and compare them. Im also thinking about buying another edger, as mine is having issues. The hole where the screw for mounting the edger head on has been wormed out due to vibration. The head still works, but if I have to edge a lawn for the first time it freaking woobles all over.
    Also talked to the new Exmark dealer in town and was really impressed. I want a new exmark lazer z, and wb so bad. I drool over the exmark advertisement like some guys do playboy. Its always gotta be something. The enemy of good enough is better.

2. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

It sounds like whoever rebuilt the carb messed up. It sounds like they got dirt in where the needle valve goes or they misadjusted the valve pin. As far as the edger.....get a new shaft tube.....they are not that expensive. If the rest of the edger is in good shape it is worth the new tube....beats spending two to three hundred on a new unit.

3. barringtonbrothers

Yes, Im aware of that, but I want to run two edgers. I always like to have backup. Same thing goes for my weed eater. I want a new one, and I want a backup. Im going to get a new shaft for the edger and my weed eater is in my friends shop right now. Im hopping I can afford to keep my toro z when I buy a new z as I want a backup for that too, and a extra Z for those really big jobs. Im trying to look foward to keep my business growing and my service improving. And its my understanding that the valvepin on the redmax is not adjustable. The stihl dealer said yeah pretty soon all will be like that due to the effing EPA. He showed me a Stihl with the same engine as my Redmax- for use in california where the tree huggin nazis rule.

4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

GO STIHL. It is awesome stuff

5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

[/B]

LOL. isnt that the truth

6. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

When you unscrew the primer bulb plate off of the carb there is a plastic fuel body that the fuel needle swivle plate is attached to. The fuel needle hangs on this swivle plate and you can adjust how much that needle valve opens and closes every time the diaphram pulses. If that little lever is bent open too far the needle will never seat to stop fuel flow when unit is turned off. Trust me it IS adjustable. On the same token if it is bend down too far you will not get enough fuel at full throttle to run right. Just my 2-cents...trying to help.

7. barringtonbrothers

I aint the mechanical type. I learn as I go. My friend has nothing to profit by leading me astray. He is a retired cop who loves to work on mowers been working on them longer than I been alive, and is a legend around here. After he retired he worked at the redmax dealership just for something to do. He said he has run into this problem before. So I trust him. I have known him for some time, and all he ever wants to charge me is for parts which I really hate. I really appreciate the work he does on my equipment and always pay him extra and bring him old mowers he can use for parts. He loves that because he just loves to work on mowers its his hobby. You guys should see the old john deer rider hes restoring - man it looks brand new. Hey he could be wrong, but since I am mechanicaly inept I have to trust him. But I also appreciate your advice very much , thank you.

8. barringtonbrothers

I got the new stihl 4-mix with the solid drive shaft, paid $396 after tax. Its their new 4 stroke engine that runs on 2 stroke gas - go figure! But that sucker really runs and man does it sound cool. It has a sound all its own.

9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i have new sthil 4mix fc 110 trimmer and fs 110 edger and a sthil 420magnum blower. and i LOVE them all. They work awsome. They're expensive but well worth it, IMO

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I love stihl. My one FS-80 I have had now for about 4 years. I have only had to replace the choke lever. That is all!