Buying My First Truck Monday

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DSLND, Dec 29, 2007.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Guys,

I talk to a lot of you outside of the foums, and to those who follow me here on LawnSite, or any other site know that I am a young, motivated landscaper.

While browsing through the local classifieds the other day, I ran over a vehicle that looked to be a good deal, so I e-mailed the guy for some pictures. Then, on Christmas day, I received some pictures.

Ends up it's a 1999 Chevy 2500HD (newer body style), 4x4, 107k miles, white w/gray interior, extended cab/short bed. It also has a non original radio (brand unsure at this time) all terrain tires, tinted windows, and the FlowMaster dual exhaust!

So Thursday, my dad, and I went up to look it over, and take it for a drive. It was a beautiful truck, and my dad and I both loved how it drove. I knew I wanted that truck and dad agreed. I called up, made an offer and he accepted. We are going Monday to the bank, to get the title transferred over, then to go pay the tax on the vehicle, and order my custom plates:weightlifter:

I paid $9700 for the truck, and $280 for the title transfer, tax, and personalized plates. Total investment $9980.

I get the truck about 5:00 Monday, so i'm not sure if i will be able to get great pictures up, but quality pictures will follow Tuesday morning for sure!

I'm totally excited to go pick the vehicle up, and even though i don't get my permit for a few months, I can still drive it around my house (very rural area)
    and I will have my permit before next year's mowing season, so that way grandma just has to sit and enjoy, and I can do the driving and the work!

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

Congrats on your first truck!

what motor does it have?

107K miles??
  3. DSLND

Thanks. It has the 6.0L V8 and it has some extra filter attachment (will get exact specs. Monday) that advances the truck's gas mileage by a few miles per gallon. He said he can get about fourteen to fifteen miles per gallon city driving, and has gotten up to twenty on the highway.

Yes, 107k miles.

4. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

i bought my gmc 98 2500hd extended cab for $7500 with 52k miles. it seems a a little high with over 100 k miles. but as long as your happy, that's all that counts
  5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like you picked out a nice one. The 366 (6.0) is a great engine. Have one in our dump truck on the farm, has LOTS of power. You'll have to get us some pics...
  6. DSLND

LawnMan: Sounds like a great deal you got on your truck! I didn't mind paying what I did, being the truck had new All-Terrain tires, new radio, and the flowmaster exhaust.

Eric (KS): Thanks. Pictures will follow either Monday night (if it's not too dark) or Tuesday morning.

7. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

You probably will regret the short bed but hey you got to start some were, nice pick up though.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

True, blue book on it is lower, but the truck I bought was worth about blue book fair low and I immediately got to put in 1,500 worth of parts and labor (mostly parts and DIY too) to get it right, by the time it was all said and done it was still within blue book fair high...

You get what you pay for, that age and model truck is worth about 6500 in good condition, but far more if you got it from a dealer or excellent, and if it's ready to go after an oil change, maybe a trans fluid and filter, I tell you it can be worth it. The tires? LOL, the cheapest are like $100 each, + labor, one set of tires for mine runs 500 easy, for starters, nice ones you can spend a grand.

It really can be worth paying a little more, maybe that 3/4 ton wasn't used but so hard, mine saw construction work, and it was up north so it has extensive if light rust damage, see...

Then those 3/4 tons are not easy to find, I do think it's a bit much for a first truck but then if you're not but so mechanically inclined it might be a better choice there as well, I had to do a LOT of work to mine, probably spent 2 weeks fooling with it before I even took to get it inspected, then it cost me another 150 LOL.

To be honest, to find a 3/4 ton at or near blue book, in the shape and configuration you want, a 3/4 ton?
    6 months to a year of looking, and shopping around.

So you pay for it one way or another, pretty much.

btw it's a very powerful engine, drive it nice you'll see 10-11mpg trailered.
  9. DSLND

Thanks guys!

I ran the truck through KBB and it came in at around $8900. But the way i figure it is that the new tires (BF GoodWrench All Terrain), new power steering pump, FlowMaster exhaust, the extra filter attachment in the engine, and only 107k miles. So to me, I think that $9700 was a great deal. Some of the dealers around here are outrageous; I found a 1998 Chevy K2500 w/87k miles, regular cab/long bed and he wanted $13k! Another dealer wanted $12k for a 2000 K2500 regular cab/long bed w/104k miles.

I bought this truck out of a private party, and for $9700, i'm going to take that and run! As far as the "too big of a truck for me" concern, I want something I can grow into, not out of. My brother has a S-10 :)dizzy:), and we have tried using that for my business, but two wheel drive and a little engine is not something that would work in my business.

Pictures will follow Tuesday morning!

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure if I would have gone for a short bed truck but hey, you know what will work for you! Sounds like you got a great deal on it as well! For 1 thing, there's always plows and other stuff on ebay in huge amounts for that style truck!