1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying My First Truck...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DSLND, Nov 12, 2007.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys,

I'm getting to the point in my business, where its time to start looking for a truck. In February, i get my drivers permit, allowing me to drive with an adult. Grandma normally drives me to my jobs, and reads while i work. I have doubled in size in the last year, and put all my work during the week, after school. We have been having to take dad's Jeep for mowing, making him take my mom's van, and my mom takes my grandma's car. I don't like doing that, but i have no other choice.

Heres what i'm looking for:

1995-2000 Chevy/GMC K2500 (older body style)
    Reg. Cab, Long Bed
    350 V8
    4x4 (Auto Trans.)
    Less than or just over 100k miles
    Would rather buy a truck w/o plow, but i'd consider one with a plow, if it was what i want

I will be pulling a 18' enclosed trailer (once i get a truck, i can finally upgrade trailers), plowing with an 8' Western plow, and putting a dump insert for hauling debris.

I have $10k to spend on a truck, don't want to spend anymore.

I currently search AutoRV, Auto Trader, Truck Trader, and local classifieds daily. Any other places you guys suggest looking?

Any things I should look for when looking at these trucks?

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

gas engines suck...go diesel!!! yay!!!
  3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

get a one ton dump, the chicks wont dig it but you will have a great start on a business.
  4. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

I would, but the way gas is, and the whole "$4.00/gallon before the New Year" doesn't inspire me to get a dump truck.

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

What ever you do don't settle for a Ranger or an S10 you will out grow them in less than a year.
  6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i run a gas kodiak 2.5 ton, its not that bad once you factor in the low repair costs. then get a diesel 1 ton.
  7. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

get a diesel
  8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

You will be fine with a 2500 gas, but when it comes to a 3500 I would go diesel. You should be able to find the truck you want for 7-8k. good luck!
  9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

the kid is 16 and has $10k to spend, what one ton diesel dump is he going to get for that, one that is beat and will break down alot. good advice guys. the truck he has picked will work for a 16yo starting a business, thedump insert can be transfered to a new truck, and plow residential driveways with a one ton dump isnt smart. it sounds like this 16 yo has made more wise decisions then the "pros" on here.

good for you, good luck, in ct we have the bargain news, its a paper only with ads, its sold in gas stations, take a look around you may have one similar. you should be able to find a truck like that well under 10K
  10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

exactly hes going to need a truck to other stuff at night with his friends and i bet hes not going to want a dump...there was a kid i went to school with he was a year ahead of me and he bought a gmc dump and that was his only truck...needless to say you saw that thing in town all the time at night.

as for diesel they are bullet proof and awesome but i have 6 trucks and only 1 is diesel and the gas run just as good