Buying my first ztr...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike payne, Feb 13, 2002.

1. mike payne

mike payne LawnSite Member

I want to buy my first ztr, how does a Landpride(Hustler) compare to a Kees zt max? I want a 52'' deck.

2. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

That seem kinda small for a ZTR. What would the advantage of buying a 52" ZTR be over a 52"w/b or stander type mower? It would save you lots of money, but you couldn't sit down.

If anyone could give me reasons why you buy a ZTR samller than 60" over a w/b or stander type other than being able to sit. Think of the $ savings. Email or and a post

3. proscapeINC

proscapeINC LawnSite Member

I yhink it depends on the size of areas that you are cutting I'm using 2 walker units they are fast in ways that a larger machine isn't .Walker machines save alot of time trimming and if you have the 9.0 collection system you can pack alot of grass if you don't need to bag go with a larger machine if cutting quality means alot the walker is a great unit

4. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

Landpride and Hustler are two different companys. Great plains build Landpride and Excel builds Hustlers. We just sold our dc choppers and bought ex-mark machines. Didnt test drive a landpride, but did test a hustler Z and the super Z , Walker , grasshopper,and JD 1600. Chose the 72in 27hp lc Lazer. Bought 2 2002s. One to mulch and one to with the ultra vac.

5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Greg is right, You could buy 2 brand new ztr hydros for about the price of a riding ztr. You could maybe even add a sit-down sulky behind it. You could get a new stander and a good used one for the cost of a rider. If you truly want one, no one can stop you, but go for a 60 or 61" rider if you do. EXMARK is the way to go. Good Luck!

Lawnkid

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hustler makes the Landpride Z units.

I think if you are going to sit on a 52" machine, the Landpride unit is hard to beat.
    Best frame and deck on the market, coupled with a awesome cut quality will make this one of the best purchases you will ever make.

Please note that the Landpride units run about 500.00 higher per unit at the Landpride dealers
    If you have a Hustler dealer near you may want to check there pricing.
    If you have any other Q's take a look in the Hustler forum here there maybe some answers already there

Later
    Pj

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

mike i dont know about cut cause thats not what i run . but i think u are making a good choice. ive demode the hustler and was very impressed . also my 52 takes care of my work in a hurry.
    w excellent cut. good luck an have fun

8. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

my local exmark dealer is also landpride. He had 2-3 60" landpride Z's with 23 Kawis for $6500 each. Mowerconsultant... are the hustlers cheaper than that, or is that a good deal like it seems? I dont know if he still has 'em, but he had them all last year and never sold them. Thanks, Mike... ps, response in email would be superb.

9. LexingtonKYcutter

LexingtonKYcutter LawnSite Member

Exmark, the only way to go! Great Cut! Great Service! Great Machine!

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree!

As to why you would get a Z smaller than 60", that depends on your properites. Also, over the long term, riding is easier on the body. With a w/b you can end up with carpel tunnel from long term use. I use my lazer HP on all properties that it will fit. On smaller jobs it may not necessarily be much faster but its easier. I have a few as small as 8k sf and go up to over 2 acres. It's a good all around mower for me. A majority of my residentials are 25000 sf so it makes it easy to get around landscaping. But when I get to the 1+ acre stuff I can be very fast. Instead of me having to carry 3 different mowers I can have the 36" on the trailer for gated areas and the Lazer HP can handle anything else. The eXmark Lazer HP 52" has the same speed as the regular Lazers (9.5 mph). Yes, if I had only 1 acre and larger properties I would want at least a 60", but in most cases that is unrealistic. With the small foot print of the 52" hp I can go anywhere a w/b can.