Buying New Accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by STIHL GUY, May 20, 2008.

1. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

A friend of mine is leaving for college soon and offered to sell me 10 of his accounts. How much should i offer for theese 10 accounts and how much do you think is too much to spend on theese lawns?

Ford Ranger
    Utility Trailer
    21'' mower
    Stihl Backpack blower
    Sthil weed wacker
    walk behind blower

2. srqlawn

srqlawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

In Florida most business brokers will tell you that the accounts are worth 1.5 to 3 times the monthly revenue they generate. Other variables to take into consideration as well, but that is a general guideline here.

3. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I'd agree with Srglawn, I hear alot of people say on here that an account is only worth two cuts but I think you won't find anybody down here in Florida willing to sell you a $1200 yearly account for $50 bucks. Sh*t, I'd buy a hundred of them right now if I could find them at that price, okay....maybe not a 100 because I'd be overwhelmed...but you get the point. On the flip side, I see guys advertising their lawn business on craigslist for a full years income, meaning if they think a $1200 yearly account is worth $1200, or work for one full year....for free...just to pay for it...and then hope the customer keeps you during that year or and the next. If she cuts you within that year, you lost money, if she cuts you after....you just worked a whole year for free.

Point being, I think 2-3 months is about right. Selling....I'd want three months....buying....I'd pay two months.