Buying New Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B&B LAWN, Jun 19, 2003.

1. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

HOW LONG DO YOU GUYS GO BEFORE BUYING A NEW SET OF BLADES

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

could be from the second that I put them on(if I was to hit something) to about a season, I have alot of sand up here and I had a set last one full season They were in a rotation of probably 6 complete sets. The fins is what wears out on mine. my dealer got me some blades for heavy sand use, called bahlia (sp) blades

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

like wriken said, it all depends on the conditions

4. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

How do you tell when they need to be replaced?

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we look at a couple of things. The angle of the blade; is it getting that bad to where the angle is impossible to sharpen. The corners on the blades; are they becoming rounded. And also we look at the fins, whether on high lifts or gater, to see how worn out they are getting. Those are all of the factors that we look for in the replacement of the blade

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Rounded corners on your blades will not dischrge your clippings as well as a new blade will. If the corners are rounded, you will see a small, straight strip of clippings directly behind the mower as you work.

7. blairbuc

blairbuc LawnSite Member
    from CT

the MagnaMatic guy told me the corner of that bade does all the cutting, and as Rodfather said, if its a nice sharp 90 deg. corner it cuts great. My problem is the blades go round in under 30 hours and I can't afford new blades every two weeks. I run them thru the MagniMatic but all I do is make my rounded leading edge round and sharp when what I really want is a 90 deg. point at the tip and sharp... Any of you guys know a trick other than buy new

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

When they look like this!!!!

:D

dull blades 3.jpg

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

The technical specs I've seen say discard when 1/3 of metal is gone, (that's measuring from blade edge to blade back) if you can avoid hitting non-grass material that long.
    My reality has been, blades round off way before that point. I always just keep them sharp, and when I can't get a definite corner anymore, replace.

10. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I purchase six sets of blades with a new machine, blades are changed daily and all are sharpened on the weekend. Your Mower Owners Manual should have a section with descriptions on what to look for in excessive blade wear (in this area it is erosion of the sail that prompts replacement).
    BobR