Buying New Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B&B LAWN, Jun 19, 2003.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Tommy and others using dedicated blade grinders...:

I thought the grinder would eliminate the round edge at the corner...I get that with my 4 1/2" grinder!

Does using one of those high priced B.G.s help keep a sharp corner longer?

:confused:

2. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Mag-8000 blade sharpener, and I get my edges a 90 degree always.. What I've found is the duller the blade ( round edge) the more you have to grind to make it square at the tip !
    The blade sharpener will not keep a 90 degree edge longer.. Just depends what your cutting, I have a few lawns with allot of sandy areas, the blades take a beating with this, Bahia grass is Tough and will dull a blade quicker than good ol St. Augustine grass..
    What a good sharpener will do is put a good edge in the least amount of time. Hope this helps.....

Lou :cool:

3. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey! Look like a few of mine! Wow, I like your new sharpening pattern too! NICE and strait:D JK!

4. chitwood

chitwood LawnSite Member

I c-clamp mine down on the work bench and use a 4 1/2 in. side grinder. I try to remove enough metal to keep the entire cutting edge parallel to the front of the blade. This seems to work for me but I also use gator blades. They seem to last longer on the sand.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have one that I use. Think it's a B.G. 120. Works very well in fact.

6. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

FireBall Jr. -- Sharpened edge is parallel to the back edge of my blades, sharpening angle is whatever I desire (usually 37°). I did not pay $500 for rounded corners. Commercial grinders remove material very quickly so maintaining the factory fresh angles is very easy (blades are only used one day before they are put into the 'to do' pile) sharpening daily does not allow the blade end to become overly dull and it can be resharpened with only a few of passes through the grinder.
    BobR